Building my 1st chicken coop

Hens Solo

Songster
Nov 6, 2019
LaFayette Georgia
After hatching a dozen laying hens, I've now set about to build my 1st chicken coop. I'm finding it more difficult than I thought. Most of my wood is salvaged from storm damage. The door is 52" high so I can get in to clean it. I've still got a few weeks to complete it. So ar I've borrowed a lot of ideas from BYC and other sources.

Attachments

• IMG_6929[1].JPG
    IMG_6929[1].JPG
    730.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6930[1].JPG
    IMG_6930[1].JPG
    801.4 KB · Views: 40
I'm looking to build a coop, and am wondering where you get that shingled roofing? I can't seem to find any corrugated metal for roofing, or shingles. I've checked several hardware stores

I have to admit that I am a scavenger. I got permission from a contractor to have all the old shingles I can find around his place. Unfortunately I had to pay $25 a sheet (5) for t-111 at Lowes as well as about $50 for paint. When I'm done I hope to have less than $300 in the 4x6 coop.

I have to admit that I am a scavenger. I got permission from a contractor to have all the old shingles I can find around his place. Unfortunately I had to pay $25 a sheet (5) for t-111 at Lowes as well as about $50 for paint. When I'm done I hope to have less than $300 in the 4x6 coop.
I've found a plan that seems like it will work really well for me, but after scavenging lowes, home depot, and ace, i'll be sinking about $600 into a 6x3 coop with a 6x3 run. I'm not exactly a master builder, so designing something myself is..... daunting. I don't want to mess anything up for future chickens, but I can't seem to find another plan that seems like it will work out. There are tons of great plans out there, I guess I just haven't had great luck with them lol

Are you keeping all 12 chickens? Because if you are then that coop needs to double in size.

It’s easy to spend lots of money on construction projects. Building materials are getting more expensive by the minute. Things may be more expensive where you live but $600 seems like a lot For a 6x3 coop. Remember this... you’re not living in it, chickens are. It’s easy to over build. Trust me, I’ve done it a few times. Keep them safe but remember it’s for chickens.

After hatching a dozen laying hens, I've now set about to build my 1st chicken coop. I'm finding it more difficult than I thought. Most of my wood is salvaged from storm damage. The door is 52" high so I can get in to clean it. I've still got a few weeks to complete it. So ar I've borrowed a lot of ideas from BYC and other sources.
one week later the "skin" is put on my coop. I still need to work on windows, doors, ramp to run, and a lot of extras. While I work the hens come around to inspect the work. They cock their head approvingly or disaproving. They peck at my hammer and peck my back once in a while.

Attachments

• IMG_6933[1].JPG
    IMG_6933[1].JPG
    762.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6934[1].JPG
    IMG_6934[1].JPG
    440.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
one week later the "skin" is put on my coop. I still need to work on windows, doors, ramp to run, and a lot of extras. While I work the hens come around to inspect the work. They cock their head approvingly or disaproving. They peck at my hammer and peck my back once in a while.
Another day of covid-inspired chicken coop work!

Attachments

• IMG_6935[1].JPG
    IMG_6935[1].JPG
    408.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6936[1].JPG
    IMG_6936[1].JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 26
It looks fantastic! I'm not sure of your space needs, but for salvaged stuff, it looks great! Wowie!!

My old 4 x 8 coop (for 5 hens) was made from a ruined fence and stuff found on Craigslist. I spent about 200 in all. I special ordered a metal roof from Home Depot.

I strongly recommend checking out Craigslist for anyone building a coop! Saved ma a ton! I found free salvaged plywood and t-11 for $10 a sheet!

It looks fantastic! I'm not sure of your space needs, but for salvaged stuff, it looks great! Wowie!!

My old 4 x 8 coop (for 5 hens) was made from a ruined fence and stuff found on Craigslist. I spent about 200 in all. I special ordered a metal roof from Home Depot.

I strongly recommend checking out Craigslist for anyone building a coop! Saved ma a ton! I found free salvaged plywood and t-11 for $10 a sheet!
You da man! $200 and a larger coop! I wholeheartedly convey the scavenger crown! I'm actually down to 10 hens. sold 6 the other day.

Back
Top Bottom