Building my coop - need advice on materials !

If you decide on larger breeds - Cochins, Brahmas, Orpingtons - you and they will be happy with those largish nest boxes. Ours are just over 12”sq and our Partridge Rocks have to bend their tail feathers to get situated. I was not consulted...

Good luck! You’re wise to put in this much time and thought before the chicks arrive!

Last edited:
Not sure if this will help, but I used cedar-fencing planks for the hen-house siding (overlapping). You can find it at any Lowes, Home Depot, what-have-you. At six years, it's holding up very well.

The door however is not fairing as well. I used a pine panel and even with it painted, it's still splitting/bubbling. I live in Texas so the humidity can be brutal on the materials.

20160418_191558.jpg

20160229_173653.jpg

I used the galvanized-steel "netting" - which I got at Home Depot - and it has held up very well.

Attachments

• 20170426_081210.jpg
    20170426_081210.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 6
We used this multipurpose panel we found at our Lowes. You have to paint it right away that's the only thing. It's textured, but it looks pretty good and is holding up good. We also have it on the outside walls of a run-in shed. But it's a fairly cheap way to go if you're looking to save a little and are not to picky on how fancy you want to get.

Here is the link to the siding:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/LP-LP-Multi-Use-Panel-Application-As-4-ft-x-8-ft/1002550422

View attachment 2324810View attachment 2324832

For the floor we went with plywood and polyurethaned it. I saw a coop on a thread on this site that used a vinyl flooring which I thought would be a good idea and easy to clean (something to think about).

Good Luck with your Build!
I've just started using this multi purpose panel for some chicken coop repairs. Once painted it has been very water resistant, much more than any plywood I've ever used. The only downside with it is that the hardness is not always exactly the same from one spot to another. I have had a few screws pull completely through the panel. Fixed that by using some washers, or in the case of roofs, I used roofing screws that are designed for fastening metal roofing to wood - they have rubber washers built in. No roof leaks so far.

The last coop I built I made a sturdy drawer for the floor and put 1/2 inch hardware cloth for the bottom of the drawer then covered that with 1/4 inch hardware cloth. I did put a couple of 1x3's across the bottom to support the weight of adult chickens. The wire was not enough to support them by itself. The drawer is about 6 inches deep and I keep it fairly well filled with flake bedding. The bedding dries very quickly, doesn't smell as much and this coop has noticeably fewer mite problems than the solid floored coops that I have. I don't pull the drawer out very often, most of the time I just scoop up the poops. But I do like that I can pull it out every so often and really clean it out. Next coop I build will be a larger one and I'm planning several drawers.

I've just started using this multi purpose panel for some chicken coop repairs. Once painted it has been very water resistant, much more than any plywood I've ever used. The only downside with it is that the hardness is not always exactly the same from one spot to another. I have had a few screws pull completely through the panel. Fixed that by using some washers, or in the case of roofs, I used roofing screws that are designed for fastening metal roofing to wood - they have rubber washers built in. No roof leaks so far.
Did you use the same panel for the roof ?

Did you use the same panel for the roof ?
Yes, we were doing roof repairs primarily. In one case we covered the panels with corrugated metal roofing. In one case we painted the panels but didn't cover them with anything. The painted panels without any covering have not been in place more than a few weeks, but they've been rained on and so far don't show any signs of deterioration.

I'm leaning towards the LP Multi-Use panels from Lowe's, is that something I can also use for the floor or should I look for something else (probably plywood ?)

Not sure if this will help, but I used cedar-fencing planks for the hen-house siding (overlapping). You can find it at any Lowes, Home Depot, what-have-you. At six years, it's holding up very well.

The door however is not fairing as well. I used a pine panel and even with it painted, it's still splitting/bubbling. I live in Texas so the humidity can be brutal on the materials.

View attachment 2330754

View attachment 2330767

I used the galvanized-steel "netting" - which I got at Home Depot - and it has held up very well.
I'd like to hear the story behind your coop name (I'm French) :D

Hi there @Pitikok, hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow

Did you already check out the coops section?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/

I just finished building my coop.. Let me say first.. the cost of 2x4 literally tripled in the last 6 weeks since we started to over $7 EACH! :hmm

Since we weren't building a human structure that needed to withstand hurricane force winds.. we used a lot of 2x3.. where possible. like for the walls which were holding up light weight as we went with corrugated metal roofing.. due to cost but also because it will function better than traditional shingle style roof in THAT location with all the tree droppings, sap, etc. I expect sweating to happen just as it did in my pole barn where there was no insulation between the top of the roof and ceiling.. when the sun shined on cold mornings. One factor for roofing for me was actually sound.. I suspect metal amplifies everything and wood would SEEM to dampen it.

We also have super high humidity year round here.. and so used waterproofing, mildew resistant stain (or paint) on EVERY inch of wood BEFORE assembling. This added a huge amount of time, but will pay off in the end. Also, (I shop HD) by checking the "oops" paint.. I got a 5 gallon deck stain valued at $115, marked down to $30.. and it's hard to get a single gallon of quality paint for under $30! I will try to post a photo as soon as I find my phone.

OSB work fine as floor. (Noting I am an amateur about building, just a simple house wife with tons of ideas and projects yet limited resources such as time, energy, and funds). I painted both sides since the birds will be underneath.. and inside the coop also get a sheet vinyl layer between the OSB and shavings/droppings. I have used OSB as an exterior wood.. and it requires HEAVY amounts of paint to protect from the elements. It's a little uglier as well not being smooth. And the way Kung pow described bubbling etc on the pine is exactly what happens if not protected from moisture. I am in the Pacific Northwest and we average 50-80+ inches of rain depending on the year so moisture is a main factor for us.

T1-11.. exterior grade glue, primed on the outside already, perfect, easy to use..

Hardy plank mentioned another good higher end choice.. You DO get what you pay for quite often. My hubby's future consideration for coop exteriors.

I like the fence boards KP, and have considered them myself (up-cycled more than new due to cost factor but of course sweat equity ain't free). Looks nice though, and thanks for noting the difference in how the two material are holding up! :highfive:

I also use half inch hardware cloth extensively, but find it cheaper on Amazon than local. I haven't dealt with bears partly due to having dogs that roam my place, I think. It has effectively kept out raccoon, rats, opossum, etc.. when installed correctly.

Plywood vs OSB.. plywood is prettier and a little higher priced last time I check at my location. Also maybe stronger for a thinner product?? Come to think of it.. the coop we just built that is elevated but walk in has a laminated plywood floor, with the laminated part facing the ground under the vinyl that's inside. Our smaller coops that were not walk in were OSB, only supporting the birds.

What kinda birds are ya getting? Did I miss that. :pop

Happy adventures! :wee

Back
Top Bottom