Building my first chicken run!

Peringle

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 17, 2013
Started working on the chicken run. Its about 20ft long and approximately 4-5ft wide and 3-6ft high. Using green garden fencing and garden stakes for the run and an old dog house for the coop. I will adjust the size and material as they get bigger, our numbers increase or when we move.

How many chickens do you have? It's certainly quite pretty but I do not think it's predator proof.

We have two chicks. I'm not done with it, probably be another day or two before its finished. I hope I can get it predator proof.

New chicken run, I used white wood 1x3 boards. I kept the green garden fencing and made it a little smaller. Now it's 74 inches high, 62 inches wide and 8 ft long. I still need to build the door and have to finish up the back wall before I test it out. Hope to have it done in the next couple of days.

Thanks Joan! I've never had chickens before so I'm still learning. I wasn't sure if it would work or not. I'll look into something stronger.

Thanks Joan! I've never had chickens before so I'm still learning. I wasn't sure if it would work or not. I'll look into something stronger.
Your welcome! Most people don't consider chicken wire or poultry wire to be strong enough to deter predators either. You will see it used on lots of coops but there are also lots of stories of dogs and raccoons or coyotes chewing through the chicken wire. I think to consider your coop to be adequately predator proofed you have to be able to stop a raccoon or a neighborhood dog (like a Lab not a chihuahua). Then you have to worry about the hawks overhead. They say raccoons can open simple latches. Some folks have to use an electric fence if they have big predators issues. If you want to deter rats/mice you either have to secure your feed at night (every night) or you can not have a gap larger than 1/2 inch for them to gain access to your coop. That means you have to use hardware cloth and have "tight" doors and windows. Hardware cloth is expensive and a pain in the butt to work with. I don't think it looks as good as chicken wire. But, I used it because I don't want to go out there and find mutilated chickens, nor do I want a mice/rat problem. I put carabiners on my latches for smart predators. I have a 6 foot stockade fence but fence gates can accidentally be left open a neighborhood dog can smell chickens. I hope it all works out for you.

I have a while before I have to worry about eggs. I plan on building a bigger coop but until I do I will most likely use the nesting bucket idea I saw in another thread. For stronger material I will most likely just but more 1x3s to put around the back wall like I used for the top. The only predator issue I know we have is a few neighborhood cats and an occasional skunk. I'll post updates as I do them. Thanks for the info!!

Back
Top Bottom