Building my first coop....pictures attached, looking for suggestions/recommendations

j_mair

Chirping
Feb 1, 2021
Hello I'm new to the page but am loving all the great info. I recently became interested in getting a few hens and after tons of research decided to build my own coop to fit my yard. It's 6'x4' and have planned for the chicken door in the front under the extended roof, a larger side door for cleaning and access to the bedding (designed for deep bedding method) and the two nesting boxes in the back. All 3 sides will have hardware clothed windows above. I live in the desert so ventilation was a big consideration. the 4th side will be up against a fence so not planning on any doors or windows on that side. Take a look so far and let me know if you have any better suggestions before I move forward. Thanks!
tempImageaJqoxj.jpg
tempImageY8JGh3.jpg

Last edited:
Looks fantastic so far! Couple of questions:

1) How many chickens are you planning to have?

2) Have you considered leaving one wall mostly/completely open? You will need lots of ventilation in the desert.

I lied. There's a 3rd question - lol!

3) Will you be able to provide any shade?

I used to live in an area that got up to 115° in the summers. My birds sure suffered until I moved their coop and run under a tree.

Oh - and WELCOME TO BYC! If you love chickens, you'll love it here!

Planning for 4-6 hens. Yes an open air coop was my first design but decided I would like a bit more security even with a closed run. And yes I also plan on building an enclosed run and will be covered with plenty of shade cloth.
Looks fantastic so far! Couple of questions:

1) How many chickens are you planning to have?

2) Have you considered leaving one wall mostly/completely open? You will need lots of ventilation in the desert.

I lied. There's a 3rd question - lol!

3) Will you be able to provide any shade?

I used to live in an area that got up to 115° in the summers. My birds sure suffered until I moved their coop and run under a tree.

Oh - and WELCOME TO BYC! If you love chickens, you'll love it here!

Are you going to run fly rafters for roof overhangs on the sides?
I would also strongly recommend one full side be just 1/2" hardware cloth. If you have small poisonous snakes you are worried about getting in, put a second layer of 1/4" HC on the inside.
You will want lots and lots of shade.

Yes 3 sides will have HC windows and siding to enclose. Can you clarify what you mean by one full side with HC @DobieLover? You suggest leaving one side completely open with no siding and just HC? And no did not plan on adding any more rafters but should have plenty of shade on the run that I plan to build next. Thanks for all the great input!

Yes 3 sides will have HC windows and siding to enclose. Can you clarify what you mean by one full side with HC @DobieLover? You suggest leaving one side completely open with no siding and just HC? And no did not plan on adding any more rafters but should have plenty of shade on the run that I plan to build next. Thanks for all the great input!
Yes, that is what I am suggesting. The HC side would ideally be the side that receives the least amount of direct wind.
And the extended roof line over the two non-load bearing sides is not just for shade. It is to keep water away from the windows and structure. It would not be too difficult to add the fly rafters. I would extend the roof line at least 12" on the sides.

Back
Top Bottom