Building my first coop! - progress thread

Pics
Thinks the 'cave' is a bad design for several reasons.<shrugs>
Have seen the chains in a couple places, works great if you have a place to hang it from.
The thread I saw had a wooden frame sitting on the bottom of the brooder, with one post attached at each corner, and the chains were hooked on the tops of the posts. I have enough scrap wood to put together a frame with posts. Though I like the setup with the really really long bolts/screws/whatever those are, except I don't have any and don't feel like rushing to Home Depot to buy them (they close tomorrow anyway).

The thread I saw had a wooden frame sitting on the bottom of the brooder, with one post attached at each corner, and the chains were hooked on the tops of the posts. I have enough scrap wood to put together a frame with posts. Though I like the setup with the really really long bolts/screws/whatever those are, except I don't have any and don't feel like rushing to Home Depot to buy them (they close tomorrow anyway).
I used 6" hex head bolts and also some threaded rod cut to 6".

Link your incubator/hatch thread here when you get it set up.

She forgot the power cord :barnie So I can’t start playing with my new toy quite yet.

Calibrating the thermometers now. Wanted to check them with both ice water and boiling water, but the probe end on the yellow digital thermometer looks plastic and I’m afraid I’ll melt it, and the mercury thermometer only goes up to 110 degrees... As far as the ice water, the digital probe reads 31.8 and the mercury is off the chart a little below 32... I’m guessing 31 or somewhere between 31 and 32? Is that close enough to call them accurate?
857AE796-4489-4AD9-B069-6CFA6AF6A6B3.jpeg

P.S. I tested the two thermometers at 3 other temperatures and they were several degrees off from each other on all :thSince the probe was so close to 32 in the ice water, I’m going to assume it’s accurate enough and use that in the incubator.

Last edited:
Is that close enough to call them accurate?
Not IMO.
You can't use the ice and boiling water tests unless the thermometer has a range that can read both.
The one you show there won't read either, the range for an aquarium therm is much smaller.
That's why my article suggests comparing incubator therms against a human medical thermometer(most accurate and tightest tolerance you'll find in a store, or your house) in warm(~100°F) water

Not IMO.
You can't use the ice and boiling water tests unless the thermometer has a range that can read both.
The one you show there won't read either, the range for an aquarium therm is much smaller.
That's why my article suggests comparing incubator therms against a human medical thermometer(most accurate and tightest tolerance you'll find in a store, or your house) in warm(~100°F) water
What about the digital probe thermometer reading 31.8 in ice water? Can I trust that one to be accurate? I’m not going to use the aquarium thermometer.

The incubator itself doesn’t seem to have a thermometer. Or if it once did, it doesn’t anymore... or I can’t find it...
BEA6DF18-F5C5-4608-AB3A-2078134750CE.jpeg

What about the digital probe thermometer reading 31.8 in ice water? Can I trust that one to be accurate?
You can if you want, but I probably wouldn't.
Do you have a link to the exact product of this probe thermometer?
If you read my article you'll know my take on thermometer accuracy.

You can if you want, but I probably wouldn't.
Do you have a link to the exact product of this probe thermometer?
If you read my article you'll know my take on thermometer accuracy.
This is the probe thermometer:
1585057015157.png

I have several kitchen thermometers (digital and analog) and one or two medical thermometers, and I was thinking of putting them all in ice water, then again in warmer water, to compare them against each other. The problem is, I don't know which one, if any one, of them, is reliably accurate so I can compare the rest of them to it...

Back
Top Bottom