building my first coop!

Have been slowly working on this coop for the last few weeks but we got 6 pullets this week so I need to speed things up! I've pieced it together from two wooden shipping crates. I'm going vinyl floor, possibly with sand...or nothing at all.
Do yall think I should line the inside walls with vinyl as well? I keep reading about how much ventilation they need but not sure if just that top 6 inch section will be enough...or if I don't line the walls will those cracks make it too drafty??? We live in north TX btw so it never gets too cold for prolonged periods.
Thanks!

View attachment 1698777 View attachment 1698778 View attachment 1698779 View attachment 1698780 View attachment 1698781
That looks like it should be just fine. Chickens are very hardy. I'm in central Ohio and we only give them some heat when it goes -10 or more. Vinal floor has been good for me but I would not do vinyl sides. Heat is worse for chickens than cold.

Unless the wood is already "cured", the cracks may widen a bit as they season. I would add a window or 2 that you can open to give a cross breeze for the summer. Covered with hardware cloth, you chickens will appreciate it during our hot, humid summer nights.

Back
Top Bottom