Building nest boxes? Ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by spacecowgirl, Aug 8, 2011.

1. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    My eldest hen is getting close to laying age and I would like to go ahead and make a place for her to do it...Has anyone ever made a nest box out of basic household materials, and how did you do it? I saw someone post something about a 5 gallon bucket, which seems a little big for my 4'X6' coop, and someone else said something about a gallon milk jug, which seems a bit small, and also flimsy, to me...( but what do I know )? [​IMG]

Any creative ideas out there?

Thanks!

2. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    It really can be anything with sides. If you have a 2-3 gal detergent/feed container that's thoroughly washed, you just cut one side out to be the exposed top side and you're set. You could even use printer paper cartons too, although it's a bit flimsy and very disposable.

3. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I saw someone just bought a covered kitty litter box and used that. That would be really fast and easy. I don't know about cheap, though- but it doesn't seem like that would be more than $20.

ETA:- what about going to the Dollar Tree or Dollar Store and just picking up a tupperware bucket for a dollar and putting it on it's side?? Practically no money. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I've been known to use modified cardboard boxes when I needed nest boxes right away and didn't have the time to buy all of the materials and set aside an afternoon to assemble them. They're fast and easy to make, free, and easily replaceable. If you tape the edges and keep the hens from roosting on them they'll easily last for a couple months or more. Just a thought! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by