Building new chicken house

I actually added the ramps the first day my new adult flock flew into the mesh walls.
That was just new environment, but it freaked me out.
Most the birds jump down from roost/board, but the big ones use the ramp.
My bedding is also not so deep(0 to 2-4"), sometimes the bare floor is exposed, but they jump on it anyway.
My big girls would only use the ramps to go up. Even now, my Cochin, doesn't like to be up high. I put her on the roost every night. If I don't, she roosts on the edge of the poop board, and I'm worried she'll get piop on her. She is 100% white and, like, 150% feather. I hate to think of getting poop out of all those fluffy white feathers. Lol

Also need to know how big to make the door for them to be able to go outside. Dont want it too big as to be able to hold in all the heat in winter. Thanks

I am building a new 32 x 12 ft chicken house on concrete foundation. Only want to build it once so want to do it right the first time. So, I want to know how high and far apart to build roosts for brahmas. I have heard large birds dont fly well and hurt themselves jumping off higher roosts. The I suppose I need to build a walkway for them to get up into the nest boxes. Right?
Yes. Ramp needed

Back
Top Bottom