Building new chicken house

welderskelter

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 2, 2013
I am building a new 32 x 12 ft chicken house on concrete foundation. Only want to build it once so want to do it right the first time. So, I want to know how high and far apart to build roosts for brahmas. I have heard large birds dont fly well and hurt themselves jumping off higher roosts. The I suppose I need to build a walkway for them to get up into the nest boxes. Right?

I am building a new 32 x 12 ft chicken house on concrete foundation. Only want to build it once so want to do it right the first time. So, I want to know how high and far apart to build roosts for brahmas. I have heard large birds dont fly well and hurt themselves jumping off higher roosts. The I suppose I need to build a walkway for them to get up into the nest boxes. Right?
OOOOH! Lucky!!!!! I am so jelly!

My big birds don't like to jump, and when I used to have my roosts 3' off the ground, they incurred foot injuries. I have since lowered my roosts to 6" off the ground. The nest boxes are on the coop floor. Their feet are perfect now.

ETA: They would use ramps to go up, but they would just fly down, which caused the injuries and recurring bumblefoot.

OOOOH! Lucky!!!!! I am so jelly!

My big birds don't like to jump, and when I used to have my roosts 3' off the ground, they incurred foot injuries. I have since lowered my roosts to 6" off the ground. The nest boxes are on the coop floor. Their feet are perfect now.

ETA: They would use ramps to go up, but they would just fly down, which caused the injuries and recurring bumblefoot.
How deep was your bedding?
If you have roughly 6” of pine shaving that should take care of leg issues

I like to keep the roosts where I can easily reach the birds for exams at night.
Roost only need to be higher than the nests, to avoid nest sleeping/pooping.
I like a perch about 8" in front of nests so they can 'shop' for which nest they want to use.
I added ramps to roosts and nests because of one of my first birds was a Bumbling Bertha Brahma. Now some birds use them regularly, especially my huge cockbird, others do not.
Here's some tips on heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

1612708494348.png

How deep was your bedding?
If you have roughly 6” of pine shaving that should take care of leg issues
I use deep bedding in the coop, so it was over 6 inches. They are overall much happier now that they can easily roost with their smaller sisters. Just stating what I observed in my flock. Others' mileage will vary.

For our Jersey Giants I built roosts that are about 8 inches high, 8 feet long and weigh around 50 pounds they are built to move around making cleaning easier. Nest boxes are just above the ground. No ramps or jumping for the bigger breeds.
Mine were movable, too. I had mine in 4' sections. Now I have a movable roost that I take out and scrub/disinfect periodically, but my poop boards in this newer coop are stationary. I miss being able to take them out. When I build my next coop this spring, I'm going to build the movable poop boards again.

Aart. Thanks for the picture. Looks like I may not have to get down on my knees to gather after all. And checking feet may not be to bad either. Thanks

@aart has a great set up. Be sure, like aart, they have lots of room to jump down and lots of bedding to cushion the landing.

I don't mind bending over to get my eggs and whatnot. If that is a priority, then definitely build ramps. I did enjoy having an isolation area under my poop boards when the roosts were higher.

Be sure, like aart, they have lots of room to jump down and lots of bedding to cushion the landing.
I actually added the ramps the first day my new adult flock flew into the mesh walls.
That was just new environment, but it freaked me out.
Most the birds jump down from roost/board, but the big ones use the ramp.
My bedding is also not so deep(0 to 2-4"), sometimes the bare floor is exposed, but they jump on it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom