Building New Coop/Barn...Phase 5 Great Barn Build, OCCUPIED! 3/6/16

Pics
I would consider one more but DH won't. He didn't want even one but Finn showed up and stuck to him like glue so he likes Finn, but generally, he says he'd never get a cat on purpose. Silly man. He was playing with a beautiful calico at the feed store last week. I said she looked like a Mrs. Finn to me.

You would have to take the cute and cuddly kitten approach. Our dad never wanted any animals, but we ended up with 30 of them because no one can resist the cute faces of baby animals. Although I think he just now realizes what hit him. It would be better to get kittens anyways because they need to be raised outdoors to have the full cat instinct. Let me coach you through the 'adorable baby animal approach' (works every time.)

Step 1: Go get yourself a couple of kittens without talking to your husband first.

Step 2: When you bring the kittens home, put the adorable kittens in your husband's lap and make sure you talk with a baby voice about how cute and adorable they are (give them a name too, this will help a lot.)

Step 3: Talk dreamily about a mouse/rat free farm and all the good things they will do. He will go on about not keeping them while he is petting the cute and adorable kittens, but I assure you, you have already won and there is nothing he can do about it.

Last edited:
We have 11 ducks, 7 bunnies, 5 chickens, 3 cats, 2 dogs, and 2 cockatiels, 30 altogether. Of course they are all outdoor animals, except for the cockatiels, and the ducks and chickens are inside only because they are babies, but they will soon to go out to the barn that's almost finished. All of our animals are really sweet and you can hold them every which way because there are 10 of us kids that give them lots of kisses every day :). All of the animals we have we got as babies using the 'adorable baby animal approach.'

You would have to take the cute and cuddly kitten approach. Our dad never wanted any animals, but we ended up with 30 of them because no one can resist the cute faces of baby animals. Although I think he just now realizes what hit him. It would be better to get kittens anyways because they need to be raised outdoors to have the full cat instinct. Let me coach you through the 'adorable baby animal approach' (works every time.)

Step 1: Go get yourself a couple of kittens without talking to your husband first.

Step 2: When you bring the kittens home, put the adorable kittens in your husband's lap and make sure you talk with a baby voice about how cute and adorable they are (give them a name too, this will help a lot.)

Step 3: Talk dreamily about a mouse/rat free farm and all the good things they will do. He will go on about not keeping them while he is petting the cute and adorable kittens, but I assure you, you have already won and there is nothing he can do about it.
We have 11 ducks, 7 bunnies, 5 chickens, 3 cats, 2 dogs, and 2 cockatiels, 30 altogether. Of course they are all outdoor animals, except for the cockatiels, and the ducks and chickens are inside only because they are babies, but they will soon to go out to the barn that's almost finished. All of our animals are really sweet and you can hold them every which way because there are 10 of us kids that give them lots of kisses every day
smile.png
. All of the animals we have we got as babies using the 'adorable baby animal approach.'
Haha, that approach just won't work in our house. We wouldn't make a decision like that without consulting the other, but it's a cute idea. Now, if a cat shows up again like Finn did, that's another story. If it's chicken-friendly and gets along with Finn, I might lobby for it to stay.
We don't really want a lot of animals that we have to take for shots on a yearly basis. Finn's rabies booster is coming up the middle of November. Though I'd love to have another dog, I don't like the vet bills.

We have used 3/4" thick rubber mats over compacted dirt on the floor of our metal clad pole barn. Extra bedding can be used as well, but clean up is easy-peasy.

We have used 3/4" thick rubber mats over compacted dirt on the floor of our metal clad pole barn. Extra bedding can be used as well, but clean up is easy-peasy.

Yes, that is definitely an option. Much will be decided once the building is up and we see what we have to deal with. Welcome to BYC!

Quote: I've always wondered what could be 'growing' or 'living' under those mats.....
.....plus they weigh like 100 pounds( probably an exaggeration) hard to move for 'cleaning'.
Guess it would depend on the surface they are on and the environment there.

Welcome to BYC Classy...I'm the critical one ;-)

Last edited:
I've always wondered what could be 'growing' or 'living' under those mats.....
.....plus they weigh like 100 pounds( probably an exaggeration) hard to move for 'cleaning'.
Guess it would depend on the surface they are on and the environment there.

Welcome to BYC Classy...I'm the critical one ;-)

Haha, silly you. Everything needs to be considered, of course, all aspects of whatever goes into this building. If I used a stall mat, it would be on the paver base or concrete. I don't think I'd like it on dirt because I'd fear mold growing underneath it. They do use them for horses, of course, but avians are not horses. I may end up skimming a layer of quikcrete on the floor inside the building, or at least in the pen areas, depending on how I feel the surface is in there for the birds. We are expecting the first rain since it was put down just this week so we'll see how it smooths out or if it does enough for my taste. I don't have it all figured out yet. Keep the comments coming because they all help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom