Building new coop! Please help!

PToledo81

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 5, 2014

This is the start of my coop construction... I've since placed the plywood roof and enclosed the living quarters. Still have much to do!!! Ahhhh!!! Anyway, my questions are 1) Should I use insulation in the coop to keep the girls Warm/ Cool in the Winter/ Summer? I live in Northern California just south of Sacramento where the summers can get to 100-103 and can get as cold as mid 20's in the Winter. If so, what have you used? Or should I even bother spending the money? And 2) what should I use as roofing? Shingles or corrugated roofing panels? Really, when it comes down to it, it's all about preference I'm sure but is like to see what you all have to say.

Personally, as long as the coop is draft free, I wouldn't insulate. Drafts are what kill, not the cold. Plus, they'll never want to leave their toasty coop to go out in the run! lol. Also, is that chicken wire you're using? I ask, because while chicken wire is great at keeping chickens in, it's not so great at keeping predators out. And you'd be surprised at what runs through your yard at night. Hardware cloth is an excellent alternative that will last you a very long time.

Yes, that is poultry/ chicken mesh... I wanted to get the hardware cloth but, it's sort of expensive...and I need something in the 60" tall range, I don't know of the hardware cloth comes in that height. Any other cost effective options?
Personally, as long as the coop is draft free, I wouldn't insulate. Drafts are what kill, not the cold. Plus, they'll never want to leave their toasty coop to go out in the run! lol. Also, is that chicken wire you're using? I ask, because while chicken wire is great at keeping chickens in, it's not so great at keeping predators out. And you'd be surprised at what runs through your yard at night. Hardware cloth is an excellent alternative that will last you a very long time.

I totally understand the cost situation. I'm not sure about other alternatives, but for the height issue, you could run a brace board along the middle of the run horizontally, and staple two different sheets of cloth to the board. You may not have a large predator issue in your area, though, and might get away with the chicken wire.

I totally understand the cost situation. I'm not sure about other alternatives, but for the height issue, you could run a brace board along the middle of the run horizontally, and staple two different sheets of cloth to the board. You may not have a large predator issue in your area, though, and might get away with the chicken wire.
Good point on placing a brace... I was planning on doing that anyway for more stability. I have bought a roll of the poultry mesh (60" x 50') for $34... I'll have to do a little homework again... As far as predators go, we don't have too much around here... No snakes, Racoons, etc that I have seen but who's to day that the Chickies won't attract all that... We do have skunks and hawks around but they can get through the mesh. Thanks for all your insight!

Skunks will get through the net 100%! Get some smaller hole welded wire fence and just go round the bottom over the mesh and the rest probly be ok. I even got a chain link strip buried around my coop but I live out in country and predators come often

I couldn't find hardware cloth in 60 inches, but I did find it in 24, 36, and 48. You could get a 25 foot roll of the 36 and one of the 24 and make it work if you decided to go that way. We used metal for the roof on ours but simply because we had quite a bit left over from the metal roof recently put on our house. The corraugated plastic is fairly cheap here so if we didn't have metal, I would have gone with that. Looks good! Can't wait to see it all finished:)

I agree with not using insulation. I live in Michigan and the winters get VERY cold...last winter we had many days in the low negatives with awful wind chill. My coop is not insulated at all. The hens each put out about 10 watts (if I recall correctly) of heat and huddle together on the roost. I've read that many breeds can deal with temps around negative 30 degrees. Also, I do not use a "heater" or bulb because then they won't develop the heavy feathering after molt to withstand the coming winter. I don't know anything about California heat, but I would assume if they have great ventilation and shade, they should be fine. :)

The coop looks great so far! Way to go!

I don't know what types of predators are common to your area or whether you are rural. Here, many of our predators won't venture real close to the house especially with all the neighbor dogs tied close by at various intervals. For my wire, I used the green-vinyl coated. Nothing can get through it (unless they run really really fast-lol, or can squeeze between the openings in the wire). A three foot tall, 50 foot roll cost me $32. Around the lower perimeter of it, I stapled chicken wire over it (about 2 feet up) just so that when I have younger or smaller hens, they can't "walk through" the openings. I lost two young Guinea Keets that way last year, lol. (If you're not sure of the green wire option I'm talking about, there is a pic on my member page of my first try at building a coop).

Have you decided on roof materials? Personally, I like the flexibility, water-proofing-ability and the look of shingles. With only needing a few to cover, it won't be very heavy and will match your house better. Also, things like steel can cause some major owies when trying to nail it on or even just moving it around or cutting it.

I see there is a close fence on one side and then your house next to it. Will there be adequate ventilation and air movement? It is hard to tell looking at pics. Just a thought. :)

I meant to add, I also agree that chicken wire is really only good for keeping chickens confined. It rusts and breaks easily, and pretty much anything can get through it to the chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom