Building new coop.

Harry4802

Chirping
Feb 23, 2021
What is better metal sheet roof or polycarbonate sheets. I live in north FL and it can get very hot and humid here in the summer and pretty cold in the winter. What is a better insulate ?

Welcome to BYC!

IMO, the best coop for a hot climate is an Open Air design -- essentially a roofed run with a 3-sided shelter on the windward end. You can see mine featured in this article: Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care

Ventilation is the #1 consideration for the Steamy Southeast. Here's my article on it: Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation Don't worry about winter -- even here in central NC I don't ever get cold enough to need more than a bit of tarp zip-tied to the wire as an extra windbreak for the winter.

I personally like the ease of working with metal roofing installed on purlins and secured by self-tapping screws using a battery-powered impact driver. My DH and BIL installed the roof on my 16x16 coop in a single day once the purlins were up. (Starting here on my build thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/post-24727971)

I've never tried the polycarbonate.

@U_Stormcrow taught me a lot about using metal. The screw length is very important, especially in an area subject to high winds.

What is better metal sheet roof or polycarbonate sheets. I live in north FL and it can get very hot and humid here in the summer . . .
While I love the clear polycarbonate roofing on my pigeon aviary in northern New Hampshire, I would think you would get way too much solar heating through it in Florida!

I second the recommendation for an open air coop down there. Even up here, that is effectively what we use for our chickens in the summer and it is never a problem, even below freezing, until the snow sticks in December and we move the birds to their winter coop in the barn.

Back to the roof, if you go with a metal roof, I would certainly put a layer of insulation under it.

Back
Top Bottom