Building new coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Arthur, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Arthur

Arthur Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    I'm new to all this, but I think I have some helpful advice to new coop builders. Take the length of time you think its going to take to complete your coop and multiply by four. I have five girls that are finally going to get outside this weekend. ( I hope ) :)

2. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] +[​IMG] +[​IMG] +[​IMG] = [​IMG]

3. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    So true..and double the size u think u'll need. [​IMG]

4. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Then plan on building a second and third coop in the next year or two. We're up to 4 and 1 hoop house, a year after we built the first coop. [​IMG]

5. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I had from December to March to get mine done. It took till May. Now I have a 12x12 addition to put on. This one to has to be done by March 2011. Nooo Problem, I keep telling the wife. [​IMG] In my defense, I do have a bad shoulder, and I will have cheese with that wineburger. [​IMG]

6. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

And for every breed of chicken you plan to have you will need to multiply it by 6.

I'm a little shaky on the arithmichick but I think what you will do is take your proposed number to the 6th power.

[​IMG]

7. frog522

frog522 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    For me, I think it took 20 times longer than I expected. [​IMG] On the flip side, if you have experience with woodwork or building wooden structures (or know someone who does), coop building would go alot faster (and cheaper in some extent) than someone who has little or no experience. I've heard of cases here on BYC of people who have been able to get their coops and runs built only working on it two weekends. [​IMG] amazing.

I imagine if someone chose to use pre-made coop plans that would also speed up the process.

Also, multiply whatever your expected coop building time by 2 if you are a perfectionist! [​IMG]

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  9. CT_Todd

CT_Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT
    don't forget to double the cost as well ;-)

10. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    Quote:I can relate! I have almost more chicken houses than I do chickens. But this one is my last coop. Seriously. I mean it!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=32217-the-just-right-coop

UH HUH.......sure......that's what we all say! I'm up to 6 coops in a year and just put up a metal storage shed (8X10) that I got for $25 new in box [​IMG]:weee:celebrate:ya
    Now if I can put in the windows, insulate and finish it out before cold weather....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by