Building new coops on Friday I have some Q's

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rosecomb-Ryan, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Ok I me and my dad have decided to build some new coops for my Rosecombs... I have finally decided a breed that I want to improve and spend my time and money on.. YAY!!! I am going to be selling most of my other birds.... I am going to concentrate on my Blue Red, BBRed, Golden Duckwing, Blue, Black, and Splash Rosecombs.... NOW back with the subject... I have a some Questions

1) Is 6' by 6' by6' big enouph for 5 Rosecomb Bantams

2) Is 1 rooster good enouph for 4 hens??

Ryan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    woops how did those get there [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2008
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

My breeding cages are 5 by 9 an 5 foot tall chicken tractors an they seem happy with 6 nonbantems.

He can handle 4 easy, even twice that.

3. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    Yeah 6x6 is 36 and I'd give the birds 5 foot each since they will be breeders so that works nicely. [​IMG]I have NO idea how those pics got there. 1 roo is enough.

4. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Ryan,

A 6' x 6' x 6' Coop with a covered run of 6' x 8' x 6' is more than adequate for the bantams. As has already been noted 1 rooster for 4-5 hens is more than adequate, you might want to up the hen count a bit so that he is not riding the same hens to much to about 8 hens.

5. Patch of Heaven Farm

Patch of Heaven Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

good luck ryan! your birds are awesome! [​IMG]

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    4 sq ft per bird is adequate for standard size chickens so if you wanted you should be able to up the number of bantams you have without any problem. I agree that you might want to increase the hen to rooster ration and watch them. Even with more hens he might have a favorite that will start to get to beat up looking. When that starts to happen take her out for awhile. Also you have some beautiful birds.

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    What absolutely beautiful birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by