building paradise for the birds

I read up a little bit after you mentioned the lamonas. They precede leghorn in the quest to breed a production bird during the 20s or 30s right? Breed almost died out but some core breeders have kept it going.
Think about supplying restaurants too. We always do specials with Quall. Hope you get lucky with your mail and get your cemani soon. Can't wait to see those. So jealous.

I read up a little bit after you mentioned the lamonas. They precede leghorn in the quest to breed a production bird during the 20s or 30s right? Breed almost died out but some core breeders have kept it going.
Think about supplying restaurants too. We always do specials with Quall. Hope you get lucky with your mail and get your cemani soon. Can't wait to see those. So jealous.

they were mated together starting in 1912...with three kinds of chickens, white leghorns, white plymouth rocks, silver-grey dorklings...and in 1933 it was recognized as a breed....by the 80s they were close to extinction...if i recall they were originally from ma...thru universities gave the birds to farms to keep them breeding...only a few existing flocks are still in america....from what i was told...

Quote: The reason I ask is I am looking at poultry for my retirement. As a food source and as enough income to be self supporting. But I am limiting it to Guinea Fowl and Muscovy ducks and chickens.

I want to learn how to preserve Guinea pelts because I hear you can sell whole ones to fly tyers. But I also hope to sell Guinea feathers, hatching eggs and Keets.

There is also a Localvore movement here in the county and some restaurants are wanting locally raised foods.

Like this:

http://www.localharvest.org

Of course this is for the San Diego area but I am certain something similar would be up in your area.

deb

they were mated together starting in 1912...with three kinds of chickens, white leghorns, white plymouth rocks, silver-grey dorklings...and in 1933 it was recognized as a breed....by the 80s they were close to extinction...if i recall they were originally from ma...thru universities gave the birds to farms to keep them breeding...only a few existing flocks are still in america....from what i was told...

That's right and the guys last name was lamon. they were going for a beefy leghorn more or less. From the pictures I've seen I like their body structure.

Just had a short conversation with my boss about your expected quall and he is definitely into the whole farm to table type of thing. Just something to think about for the future.

cool cool....does he own a restaurant or grocery store....?

just some random pics from today
should be able to see the male displaying..every time i get close he stops

male displaying

two pics below are from the ones we hatched in the coolerbator....they are two months and made it outside

Its a restaurant. We do these "chefs specials" that are 2 or 3 courses paired with wine and a dessert. We run quail on it often. Understandably a ways off. Like I said just food for thought.
Pun definitely intended. Lol
That would be great!
Where do they source their quail from now?
Quail can be a great commodity if you have the market, will have to check the state and local laws for sale of butchered birds tho....that could be prohibitive.

That would be great!
Where do they source their quail from now?
Quail can be a great commodity if you have the market, will have to check the state and local laws for sale of butchered birds tho....that could be prohibitive.

Of course the legal aspects of this sort of venture would be taken into consideration. We currently don't use a local source and it comes from a general supplier. When we get venison it usually comes from
New Zealand, some distance there. knowing where the food comes from can be a big game changer in a town full of restaurants. Appreciate your concern.

Back
Top Bottom