building paradise for the birds

I'm sure this is a rough time right now but you are doing better than most. A little positive attitude can go a long way. Still can't imagine downsizing that many birds, wowzer. What's the number at now anyways? Great pic btw had me rolling, I've been watching so much sesame street with the kid. Hope the weather didn't take to bad of a turn for you, we've had a little dusting of rain but that's it so far.
Keep the faith
Attimus

I was thinking it was something like that. That roaring choir of sounds seems like a whisper now doesn't it? Bummer you had to pass on the tragopans even if someone could have watched them until your eventual return. I have no doubt when you set about amassing birds again it'll be just as grand as before. Still planning on sending you duck eggs when your ready for them too, especially looking forward to my welsh harlequins breeding this coming year and can't wait to share them.
Attimus

I started reading this thread last night and got hooked ! Love it! All the great ideas and information! I'm excited to finish reading and maybe join discussions. I'm looking at re building both my bantams coop and my standards. I want it to be grand! Lots of roosts ect.... Anyone have pictures of ideas besides what is in this threAd ? I have 11 in big coop and 4 more pure breeds I just hatched a few weeks ago. I also hatched some seramas. One of each gender. As they are so small !! I'm not sure they are going to be able to stay in bantam coop. I have 3 broody coops. Maybe I can turn one into another home for the seramas. Just searching for good ideas! Love the refrigerator incubator in the beginning of the thread !!!

I started reading this thread last night and got hooked ! Love it! All the great ideas and information! I'm excited to finish reading and maybe join discussions. I'm looking at re building both my bantams coop and my standards. I want it to be grand! Lots of roosts ect.... Anyone have pictures of ideas besides what is in this threAd ? I have 11 in big coop and 4 more pure breeds I just hatched a few weeks ago. I also hatched some seramas. One of each gender. As they are so small !! I'm not sure they are going to be able to stay in bantam coop. I have 3 broody coops. Maybe I can turn one into another home for the seramas. Just searching for good ideas! Love the refrigerator incubator in the beginning of the thread !!!

Here's one on the back burner until my hands healed. I have a few other smaller brooders as well as several bigger pens. Can we see some pictures of what your working with in the way remodels.
Attimus

Just checking in @birdman55 . It's been crazy busy here. Too busy to enjoy life. Stinks. DHs English setter, (the one that attacked and killed some of my chickens) died the other day
sad.png
. I never had ill feelings toward her for killing my chickens, because well, she is a bird dog. DH didn't take it well at all. But he is Ok now. They are only ours to borrow.

I'd say 100 is much less than 1,000! I thought I was bad having 100-200. You beat me! LOL! Other than time and money, there is no difference between having 20 and having 120. Have a good day!

Here's one on the back burner until my hands healed. I have a few other smaller brooders as well as several bigger pens. Can we see some pictures of what your working with in the way remodels.
Attimus
I am definitely going to go get some pictures of what we have to work with. I'm also willing to throw in 2/300$. I'll post them in next few hours. With all breeds I currently have . I'm really worried my Seremas need there own home. My Mille fluer D'Uccle is my baby ! She is 8 ounces tops! But thinks she's and let's all the big girl know it! I always find it funny when a bantam scares off 6 stNdard size hens
1f61c.png
. Anyways, like I was saying I'm kinda worried what she will do to them. shes super sweet! Unless she's broody or your not a big hen she so sweet! I'll stop babbling ! I'll get pictures up and amount of hens that will be living in the coop. Thank you so much! Fun thread! I love it! You guys seem to have a great bond!
Attimus , I grew up in Sacramento but am currently in Modesto.

Last edited:
@Angie16hearts I've got a couple of oegb x d'uccles that are the smallest little buggers. The one little roo chases my big ee cockerals if they get to close to him. He's the size of a big bluejay. Lol.
2 to 300 on some remodeling is definitely enough, my kelso coop didn't cost much more than that. Look forward to seeing the pics of the pens and hopefully the birds too.
That's cool your in Modesto, I'm just up the hill.
Maybe we can trade chicks in the future. Always looking to diversify the flock.
Attimus

@Angie16hearts I've got a couple of oegb x d'uccles that are the smallest little buggers. The one little roo chases my big ee cockerals if they get to close to him. He's the size of a big bluejay. Lol.
2 to 300 on some remodeling is definitely enough, my kelso coop didn't cost much more than that. Look forward to seeing the pics of the pens and hopefully the birds too.
That's cool your in Modesto, I'm just up the hill.
Maybe we can trade chicks in the future. Always looking to diversify the flock.
Attimus
Yes definitely! I love a mixed flock as well! I'm also out in your area ( my old stomping grounds)
1f61c.png
quite a bit to visit friends da. On way home to get some good pictures.

Update: I'm taking pictures today. Did you say you have oeg and Duccle or are they mixed ? I love my Mille flier she by far one of the best and smartest hens I have! But she's a pistol when she's broody! I would love to have more of her!!!

Last edited:
here is the broody coop. I move them in when they show first 2-3 days of becoming broody. There are 3 separate spaces all with two nesting boxes. This was thrown together one weekend when we had four hens go broody. pretty much within three days.
1f61c.png
I would like to make it more comfortable for them come spring time. Unfortunately I did not get a picture of the inside.
here is my standard coop. I have 5 2 yr olds hens and 5 teenagers. Just happened to start laying this week. Yay! I want to expand it quite a bit and add four more laying boxes maybe to the right side of the coop. Currently we have four laying boxes on the left side.

This is my bantam coop. I definitely realized they need more room on the bottom. I have a Cochin and a Mille fluer occupying the coop right now . I am still debating putting the Seramas in with them. I also have 4 pullets and two Roos In the brooder. That's why My biggest concern is for my standard size hens. How many feet should I be giving them ? I want to be able too walk in the coop access everything easily ! With out crawling around dodging roosts among other things!!
1f61d.png
I'm only 5 foot two so that's not that tall. Anyways, if anybody has any input, pictures I would love to hear and see! I'm in the 1-300$ range. I still need to read a few more pages of this thread. Which is awesome! Thank you and advance to anyone who has any advice!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom