building paradise for the birds

Happy (slightly belated) Birthday, Birdman - all the way from sunny South Africa to snowy USA!

I found your thread about a month ago, and read it all the way through in two days - inspiring stuff, overcoming all the hardships and obstacles that you've documented so far, proving to us all that perseverance pays off in the long run - I really admire your grit and determination, as well as the obvious care and love that you have for your birds and the other animals in your life.

Love all the pictures as well! The backyard fowl we keep in my village aren't nearly so varied in species or breed - I've only seen chickens and geese here so far. We do have pea-fowl and guinea-fowl in the nearby city's public parks, as well as a wide variety of other wild birds of course ...

The climate is very temperate where I live, so I've never had to deal with winter frost and snow, although summer temperatures can top 100 degrees on certain days in February and March. We don't ever dream of a white Christmas here on this side of the globe, unless it involves beach sand and foam-topped waves!

All the best for 2017 ...

Christine and the Redhouse Hens
cool.png

Happy (slightly belated) Birthday, Birdman - all the way from sunny South Africa to snowy USA!

I found your thread about a month ago, and read it all the way through in two days - inspiring stuff, overcoming all the hardships and obstacles that you've documented so far, proving to us all that perseverance pays off in the long run - I really admire your grit and determination, as well as the obvious care and love that you have for your birds and the other animals in your life.

Love all the pictures as well! The backyard fowl we keep in my village aren't nearly so varied in species or breed - I've only seen chickens and geese here so far. We do have pea-fowl and guinea-fowl in the nearby city's public parks, as well as a wide variety of other wild birds of course ...

The climate is very temperate where I live, so I've never had to deal with winter frost and snow, although summer temperatures can top 100 degrees on certain days in February and March. We don't ever dream of a white Christmas here on this side of the globe, unless it involves beach sand and foam-topped waves!

All the best for 2017 ...

Christine and the Redhouse Hens
cool.png

Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
from Sunny dry San Diego.....

so today I got some hens and tomorrow I will have some roosters delivered. The coop is down and the other coops walls are half up. If day tomorrow with a lot to do tonight we are building some game chicken 2x2's. Also want to share a story with u guys. I have raised well over a thousand birds now and I have never seen this in my bird days. So I feed the quineas and there are some golden males in there as well. This one red golden goes to eat and then just back flips and starts flop in around on the grounds. The other males started to attack it. I went in there and grabbed it and held it. The bird was twitching in my arms and then died. I have no idea what happened. So yah. Better luck next time I guess.

These are the lacy Gamefowl from Texas.

Dad got some vacation time so he came out to give a hand.

A wall pic about halfway through the day. We got the walls done and the trusses up and installed. So to sheet and tar the roof is next. But tonight we are building something for a surprise I have for everyone. It was a bday present to myself and. Came all the way from Alabama. It's a chicken and it is Gamefowl and it's called a pumkin hulsey. Got two roosters from Alabama and five hens from Mississippi. So I will post some pics of them soon

CLOSE TO 74,000 views. Thanks to everyone it means so much. I'm glad this can get all over the world and I hope I continue to share my knowledge and inspire. It almost feeds the beast so to speak. I have a lot of people in my life that are wanting me to slow down n maybe stop but I am not going to quit.

So we made 8- 2x2's for roosters. It's perfect not done but being used already.

The first pumkin hulsey rooster from Alabama.

#2 hulsey rooster from Alabama

Almost
Done
So now for a break and to say goodbye to dad and my builder. Thanks everyone for the help

Well it's Wednesday and it's 3am well now 4 am and the water just went out and other bad things are going on. Bummer for sure. I want to discuss a matter that has been on my mind for a while but we'll save it for another time to discuss as I have to get water. Good day everyone.

Got the water on....free service calls..... lol.... right. Anyways got the 2x2s done in the garage and now tonight I'm going to spend some time with the birds. Baby oil n Vaseline on the legs and baby oil on the feathers and a good check over will do for tonight. Can't post pics again. But will take some and when I can post them then there will be a lot like the last time.

Love your pumpkin hulseys, can't believe you're out building in this weather. Happy belated birthday.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom