Building permit s

Gonna depend entirely on local laws. Then it's likely to depend on how grand a coop you want. I.e. $500 project cost makes a difference in some places.

If you're adding electricity or plumbing, you most likely will need a permit regardless.

The internet is your friend. Google [your town, city, county, whatever] [building permit].

Last edited:
Most local laws want you to have a permit for structures, decks, fencing, etc... Most people that live out in the country or on farms build small outbuildings and fences without permits. It really depends on your location and what you are planning to build. Do you live in a neighborhood or out in the country? Neighborhoods can be rigid with what goes up and where and sometimes neighbors make sure you cross your t's and dot your i's. Small and portable generally does not need a permit. You can define just what you consider small and portable if you don't want to do paperwork. Make sure you can have chickens on your land before you build.

Last edited:
Check the website of the permitting office of your county or city. The information on when you need a permit is usually right there. In my jurisdiction the limit is 150 square feet. Anything smaller than that doesn't need a permit. I just built a 10x14 to avoid having to jump through hoops.

Edited because i can't spell before I have had at least two cups of coffee!

Last edited:
I just rememberd that when we moved here we had a 12x20 building built and I didn't have to have a permit cause we are considered an agricultural area. I have a small coop and run now just want to upgraded one last time to something sligtly larger.

I just rememberd that when we moved here we had a 12x20 building built and I didn't have to have a permit cause we are considered an agricultural area. I have a small coop and run now just want to upgraded one last time to something sligtly larger.

Our land is Zoned AG and I would be extremely surprised if a 12x20 building could be constructed WITHOUT a building permit. I will almost bet that the builder took care of the permitting. A building that size would be post and beam constructed and for sure have conc. piers for the wall posts. Most all counties have building height restrictions and a minimum set-back distance from the property line. Typically a soil test is needed before construction. Smaller outbuildings can just float on undisturbed soil.

Ditto the others -- check your local regulations. There is nothing worse than getting it all built and then learning you have to tear it down. We had a big approval process to build our detached garage (required a variance) but the coop was no big deal. Just depends.

In my town, if the building is movable, you don't need a permit. So if they deliver it pre-built on a truck, you don't need a permit. So I build any animal shelter so I can drag it around with my tractor if need be.

Back
Top Bottom