Building the Coop

zibercat

Chirping
May 2, 2018
Mechanicsville, MD
I love this site, a lot of information. I was planning/thinking on getting a pre-fab coop, but reading the reviews on them, on this site and other sites, I want to build instead of buy. I like the plans for the Simple Suburban Chicken Coop, it is a 4'x4' coop. The original coop doesn't have windows. I want to make it 4'x6' instead. Adding a window on top of the nesting box and another one on the opposite side, above the chicken door. Also covering the space between the rafters with hardwire cloth (and screen wire also?) on both sides for ventilation. Any suggestions? Ideas? I'm thinking on getting 4-6 chickens......

clip_image002.png
Simple Suburban.png

Last edited:
X2 on a walk in coop. They are so much easier to maintain and there's nothing worse than constant stretching, bending etc. .. especially when you're out at the coop every day.
Build for convenience, both yours and your flock.
Build for practical purposes.
Build for future flock members.
The old saying measure twice cut once. .. in the chicken world it's think ahead build once.
Good luck!

It's only about 4x3 of floor space...no way it would fit 10 birds.
Venting is inadequate...those eaves should be open.
You could build a lot more coop for $900.
These coop builders are still clueless. It seems like they build these things for people who don't have knowledge of power tools and lumber, or those who don't have the time or want to be bothered with building their own from scratch and want a pretty fu-fu coop in their back yard.

I thought the coop was larger looking at the pictures, but when looking at the dimensions, it was a real disappointment. Nine hundred dollars could be a partial addition on the back of my house. Boasting up to 10 chickens is a joke, and you would think having some trained Amish craftsmen would know more and would hopefully have some input in the construction.

They do serve a purpose for those who don't want to go through the building labor and drama, but it comes with a price, and it may cost more in the long run when that prefab falls apart and you have to invest in another one.

Get a garden shed and add lots of ventilation instead. A walk-in structure, with a dig-proof foundation. That space under a raised coop is rodent and predator heaven; don't go there! Think big openings, covered in hardware cloth, for ventilation.
If you are building from scratch, try 8'x8' at least. Smaller isn't better.
Mary

I'm gonna go against the grain here, but it seems I often do. In general, I like the first coop you posted, but I'd make some changes to it. First, I'd make it 6X6. Secondly, instead of a lift up lid for the nest boxes, I'd make the side of the nest box a drop down. Third, on the side opposite of the nest box is where I'd put my roost. Fourth, under the roost, the floor would be a strip of 1" x 2" welded wire 2 feet wide for the chicken poop to drop through to the ground. (I don't do poop boards! What doesn't fall through on its own, I use a deck brush once a month or so to push through. Takes about a minute.) Not only does this help with poop management, it also provides more ventilation. Fifth, I would not enclose the area under the coop to make it part of the run. You'll be raking out the chicken poop under there. If you do make it part of the run, you'll likely at some time in the future be crawling under there to retrieve a sick chicken or eggs because a chicken decided that's the best place to lay eggs. I would probably only put one window in on the same side as the nest box.

Problem solved, got a chicken coop from local online classifieds, 4x6 for $250. I just need to clean it up. I may need to add a vent on top of the door

Attachments

• F738AF50-5F3C-475B-A6EB-44888F56C682.jpeg
    F738AF50-5F3C-475B-A6EB-44888F56C682.jpeg
    852.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 9E16BB8A-AD9C-466C-869F-059711A3A5E8.jpeg
    9E16BB8A-AD9C-466C-869F-059711A3A5E8.jpeg
    850.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 225E4E7E-30CD-4E09-9837-D8364EF70C17.jpeg
    225E4E7E-30CD-4E09-9837-D8364EF70C17.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Back