Building the run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by denco5, Sep 10, 2010.

1. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    Is chain link fencing a good choice for the run? I do want it tall enough to walk in so it seems chain link would be the easiest to get my hands on. I have heard that animals can grab your birds thru chain link but they will be in the coop at night and in the run only during the day, any thoughts or past experiances would be great.

2. CountryRoosterUSA

CountryRoosterUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you should put hardware wire or chicken wire around the bottom of your run to prevent the chickens from sticking their heads out and or anything from grabbing them. It would only have to come up maybe 3 foot or so. Also I would put wire across the top of your run to prevent anything from getting in or the chickens from flying out. [​IMG]

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

My runs are chain link dog kennels. I do have chicken wire and hardware cloth a couple feet up the sides just in case. the only thing that has ever gotten into my runs has been a black snake that ate some eggs. Mice get in too but the chickens snack on them if they see them! I have 2x4 welded wire over the tops of them to keep out predators as I don't have closeable (is that a word? lol) pop doors. My chickens are up way before I am!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by