Bula!

FijianMoa

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2016
Fiji
Bula everyone!

My better half and I are from Fiji. We have an acre land in the forest and recently finished our chicken project (Hopefully we can get started on the quail project). Collecting eggs everyday is an wonderful feeling. We started off with 3 wonderful hens (sorry Im not too familiar with their breeds yet).

A few weeks into the project we were hit with a devastating mongoose attack and lost all of them. We doubled the fence around the coop and set traps around. Shortly caught the perpetrators and haven't had a mongoose attack since. We went and got a few more hens with a rooster and its been months of enjoyment.

Last weekend we took off for the long weekend holiday and when I returned, I heard my girls screaming. We arrived just in time to stop a pack of dogs attacking them. I wasn't expecting dog attacks in this part of the forest. Doubled the protection around the coop and Im just tending to my lil girls - still in shock. We lost a beautiful hen who gave us green eggs and now my favorite chicken has a weird sickness about her.
She's very sleepy, she doesn't eat - just drinks a lot of water and stays next to it the whole day. Poop is liquid greenish. We dont have access to medicine for chickens. A guy once told me to just kill and eat the chicken then laughed about it. Well that guy lost his front teeth shortly after.

Been reading a lot of stuff and looking up a lot of things which I end up coming back to your forums - very helpful by the way. So thought I just join since I practically talk chicken all day hehe.

Cheers fellas

welcome-byc.gif

It's always so great to hear of members from around the globe! So sorry to hear of the doc attack & following lack of sympathy. Lots of people don't realize our hens are very precious to us!

I'm not a vet and thus cannot recommend medication, but if you have access to electrolytes or anything that could just give her immune system a boost would more than likely help. Hope she pulls through!

Welcome to BYC!

Sorry to hear about your problems. Head on over to the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum and post there to see if you can get some help. You need to get the hen eating, and like GabrielBane said add some electrolytes (if you have them avaliable) in the water to perk her up. Apple cider vinegar in water is also something that works well for sick chickens. Try getting her to eat, maybe some fresh fruits or oatmeal - something she really likes and is easy to get down.

Hope you can figure out what the problem is and help your hen soon!

Greetings, FijianMoa, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you with us! I've welcomed lots of folks who have joined BYC from all over the world but I believe you are the first from Fiji. BYC is a true international community and I am glad you are a part of it. Happy, too, that your flock is recovering from the dog attack. Best of luck and thanks for joining!
smile.png

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Your right about the hens, very precious to us. Since we only have a few chickens, we get to see their funny personality up close hehe.
Will be looking into the links - cheers.
Electrolytes - only one I can think of is fresh coconut juice (sold on the road side - very common site in the islands). Hopefully that might help a bit.
Will keep in touch

So very sorry to hear of your losses from predator attacks. I wouldn't even know what to do with mongoose - fortunately we don't have any in this country (???) I always thought they just eat poisonous snakes. Guess those run out after a time. Dog attacks are prevalent in this country. I believe they are the no. 1 predator of chickens.

Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! Never greeted anybody from Fiji myself, welcome aboard! I am so sorry to hear about your hen, but you've gotten great advice and links for her! I hope you enjoy BYC!

Back
Top Bottom