Bulbous Deformity near the right wing of a chick. Any advice is appreciated. Is this Life Threatening?

NewChickenDadUSA

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
Hello Everyone,

One of my chick seems to have a deformity above its right wing. There is a pinky bulbous area. I am not sure what caused this, but I wanted to know if this is something that can be fixed through surgery or naturally. Or is this something the chick cannot handle. Thank you for any advice or assessment of the situation.

Also the chick seems to have a navel swelling as well.

Some background on the chick is that she has been pecked by a hen on the right side of her head. I have washed it with Betadine and applied blu-kote. I have also been washing it with betadine and applying triple antibiotic ointment.
Thank you for reading.

Attachments

• chick11.jpg
    chick11.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 14
  • chick10.jpg
    chick10.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 14
  • chick9.jpg
    chick9.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 13
  • chick8.jpg
    chick8.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 12
She hatched approximately 4 days ago now.

Did some more digging and this seems like a crop problem. I think it is called impacted crop. Does anyone know a possible solution?

The crop is a kind of food reservoir and will swell with the intake of food. This is normal and no reason to worry if she is eating and drinking on her own account and the swelling of the crop subsides regularly (in the morning before she starts eating again).

Please keep her dry and warm, you may blow-dry her carefully not to overheat while doing so.

The crop is a kind of food reservoir and will swell with the intake of food. This is normal and no reason to worry if she is eating and drinking on her own account and the swelling of the crop subsides regularly (in the morning before she starts eating again).

Please keep her dry and warm, you may blow-dry her carefully not to overheat while doing so.

I been keeping her dry. The crop went down naturally; however, she is just too weak now due to her navel situation. I think she has a navel swelling/infection. I am not sure what else I can do now aside just putting triple antibiotics and feeding her water mixed with Sav-a-chick electrolytes and probiotics. She now has no strength to stand and her head is touching the ground.
But when I do feed her, she does her best to stand up straight but her head needs my fingers to support her.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but sadly, there is nothing else one can do to help a chick suffering from progressive navel infection and almost all will die within a few days.

Thank you LaFleche. I appreciate the heads up and all your help so far.Thank you for being so informative.

Betadin or triple antibiotic? or both? and thank you for the input!

Betadine might be better, triple antibiotic ointments are oily and interfere a lot with the thermoregulatory properties of the feathers, not so much of a problem with big birds, but with small birds, you have to be careful just to apply where it's needed or the chick can get cold fast.

I would use the betadine only and let it dry up. The chick may have mushy chick disease (omphalitis) and those chicks usualy die. But keep trying to get it eating some mushy wet chick feed and offer some Poultry NutriDrench orally. The swollen area I agree seems like the normal crop.

Back
Top Bottom