Bulging cloudy eye on cockerel/chick

RedCurls

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2022
I am a newbie that has discovered a passion for these feathered friends.
I noticed a bulging eye on this cockerel(I am not 100% sure) four months ago. At that stage the eye was almost always open but cloudy, so presumably blind. I had confirmation in his/her behaviour: easily frightened and not responsive to hand movements on the right side.
Lately I noticed black crusts on the eyelid of the bulging eye. Also he tends to keep the eyelid closed most of the time

Has anyone experienced such a condition?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• viber_image_2022-06-23_22-22-34-872.jpg
    viber_image_2022-06-23_22-22-34-872.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 28
  • viber_image_2022-06-23_22-22-36-260.jpg
    viber_image_2022-06-23_22-22-36-260.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 7
  • viber_image_2022-06-23_22-23-54-662.jpg
    viber_image_2022-06-23_22-23-54-662.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 6
  • viber_image_2022-06-23_22-23-55-296.jpg
    viber_image_2022-06-23_22-23-55-296.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 7
Welcome To BYC

Is vet care an option?

If you are just now noticing some scabbing, then likely another chicken is picking at his eye and face.
Interestingly, I see almost symmetrical lesions/scabs on his earlobes. Not quite sure I've ever seen that before. I'd be inclined to dab some Iodine on the scabs of the comb, wattles and earlobes once a day. For the eye, he's likely lost it somehow, possibly injury or ? I'd apply a bit of Terramycin eye ointment to the scab of the eye. If you notice pus, a bad odor, etc., then seeking vet care to see if the eye needs to be removed would be a good idea.

I'll tag in @Eggcessive and @coach723 to see if they can offer better suggestions.

1656095904668.jpeg

I would use a warm wet compress held onto the eye for a few minutes while holding him, to soften any crusts or scabs on the right eye. Drip some saline or eye wash into the eye and try to open it. Pressing some around the eyelid may be able to squeeze out any pus. This may need to be repeated, and QTips or a tool may be helpful to clean out any gunk. Then at least twice a day, clean the eye with saline eye wash and apply a small dab of Terramycin eye ointment into the eye to see if it clears up. Here is a video of removing pus or gunk from an infected eye:

Wow!
Thank you so much for your responses!
Are those videos both about coryza? Could this be an infected wound form a fight? Unlike the 2 videos my little one had a black eye with a grey cloudy cover.
It does seem like it might need vet attention. Am not close to a vet and am trying to do what I can myself because last time I took a rooster there for antibiotics for a fox bite, the cost was quite high.

There is no bad odour and I will definitely clean it up and separate him from other roosters from tonight. They do tend to pick on him.
I guess i can get antibiotic eye drops for humans. Will check with pharmacy if they contain terramycin.

Am a little worried about his survival chances with one eye when he is together with other roosters. Can any of you confirm he is a rooster and not a pullet? I guess I'll find out soon enough

I forgot to say that he has grown quite attached to me as I have been handfeeding him twice daily. Had to do that because at night, when I check all my birds, I noticed his crop was quite flacid.

The terramycin is usually available at most tractor supply stores and many feed stores. Since he cannot see from that eye a pecking injury or other injury (from wire etc) is possible. I wouldn't leave him with other roosters either, he can't see from that side to protect himself. Unless he has a buddy that he tends to hang with that he gets along with that can be with him, I would separate him from the others. Even hens might tend to pick on him. I would try to treat the eye, if there is infection then leaving it untreated could cause it to spread to the other eye. If the ointment doesn't bring any improvement to the swelling and you can't find any pus that can be removed, I would really consider vet care. They can prescribe eye drops that will be a stronger antibiotic if needed.

It is hard to know what caused the bulging eye with pus. Both MG and coryza can be causes, but also if a foreign body, dirt, seed, or a peck wound introduced bacteria such as E.coli into the eye, that could be the source. If other birds get it, then that would point to respiratory disease being the problem.

Back
Top Bottom