Bulk Chicken (and pig if possible) feed

I am buying 650 lbs of corn about 9% protein 650 lbs of oats about 13% protein and 700 lbs of 36% poultry base that equals 1 ton 19.8% chicken feed (my recipe) home town mill said they would grind or crack 250 lbs 500 lbs or whatever I want at that time as long as I pay for the ton up front. I am thinking of adding another grain maybe peas if they can get them. And when they grind it they will put as much of the 50# bag of calcium carbonate in as I want for that batch. Just a side note mine will be cracked.
Check where you are maybe they will do this for you not all mills do I checked with dekalb and they don't do it you have to take it all today.

By the way chickens eat grain out of hog poop free range roosters down the road and never feed them there main diet s the grain in the poop cause hardly any thing grows on that land clay. Have had roosters down there for about 4 years big and fat never buy chicken food just pig feed. The pigs do drop food out of the feeders too.

In the feed industry a bag is never associated with "bulk".

Around here if you buy bulk in any less than 28 ton (that would be 560 fifty pound bags) loads you are charged additionally for delivery.
It is brought to your farm and unloaded with a 10 or 12" auger into your feed bin. Or they will load tour semi tractor trailer bulk feed rig at the mill and you can haul it yourself.

so is there a receipt for chicken food? how much corn, oat etc? how can I get that???

Last edited:
so is there a receipt for chicken food? how much corn, oat etc? how can I get that???
I'm not sure I understand this. You go in the mill tell them what you want for feed like x amount of oats x amount of corn what ever else you want in it and they will give you individual prices and an over all price after it is processed. If you ask for it that way. So basically study here what is good for your chickens and go to the mill and ask if they can do it. There is a lot of good information in this forum on what to use for feed you just need to do some searching then find out of that your mill can supply at good cost.
Like I said in post #11
I am buying 650 lbs of corn about 9% protein 650 lbs of oats about 13% protein and 700 lbs of 36% poultry base that equals 1 ton 19.8% chicken feed (my recipe) home town mill said they would grind or crack 250 lbs 500 lbs or whatever I want at that time as long as I pay for the ton up front. I am thinking of adding another grain maybe peas if they can get them. And when they grind it they will put as much of the 50# bag of calcium carbonate in as I want for that batch. Just a side note mine will be cracked.

Here (central Florida) I asked the local mill and the feed is $13.80 per 50 pounds....if you buy 40 bags at a time which is a ton you get 25% off that price so $10.35 per 50 pounds . If you buy the ton unbagged and put in to your own barrels or truck bed the savings is significant at about $6.10 per 50 pounds. Not that it does much good as a ton is a lot of feed:)

Here's what I'm trying to do. As there is a mill, but they don't sell direct, I want to make my own chicken and pig food. (they are amazingly similar). So how do I make it? With what ingredients?? obviously corn and oats or barley but what else? Can I get this at my feed stores (the stuff I have not listed but might need) like soymean meal. Where can I get that or is that a special order item? what else do I need???

Just trying to make basic stuff. so.... what and what quantitiys????

sue

Here's what I'm trying to do. As there is a mill, but they don't sell direct, I want to make my own chicken and pig food. (they are amazingly similar). So how do I make it? With what ingredients?? obviously corn and oats or barley but what else? Can I get this at my feed stores (the stuff I have not listed but might need) like soymean meal. Where can I get that or is that a special order item? what else do I need???

Just trying to make basic stuff. so.... what and what quantitiys????

sue
For good mixes start here. http://www.birdfarm.bravepages.com/starterx.html

And here's a good chart to see protein content off various ingredients. Instructions to find protein % at bottom of the website. http://www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/Protein_content_in_chicken_feed_ingredients/

the first link you gave me is awesome but is it expressed in pounds or in percentages?? that is so unclear. I am trying to create a 300 lb barrel so how much of what do I need???

sue

Back
Top Bottom