Bulk flax seed?

3peeps

Songster
12 Years
Jul 4, 2007
Not that this is really urgent, but I'd like to start adding flax to the girls' diet. It's not totally cheap if I get it at the grocery store. Anyone get it in larger quantities for a good price?

I suppose I could google it...just more fun to post here.
smile.png

I saw it at Costco last night. I didn't check the price, sorry, but coming from Costco it was likely reasonable. Trader Joe's carries it too. I've purchased it before from Trader Joe's and did not think the price (which I now can't remember) was horrifically unreasonable...

If you have an area that you can spare in your garden you can grow the flax yourself. The grocery flax should sprout (do a trial run in a pot to see if it germinates). They have beautiful blue flowers before they seed. The chickens won't care if you have clean seed. You can pull up the plants, turn upside down in paper bags or boxes to dry. I did this once and it was fun. I only have a small flock so I don't need pounds and pounds. These sites look promising-Good Luck

http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/english/index.php

http://www.reimersflax.com/

THanks! I just did a quick search and found a place that sold in blulk...BulkFoods.com?

Anyway, if I ordered 10 lbs, it would only save me about 3 or 4 dollars by the time I paid shipping.

We have a Sam's here...maybe I can get my parents to grab some!

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me....I did actually experiment with growing it last summer but had forgotten all about it. The flowers are really nice. I think it self-seeds, because I've seen it growing in cracks at the Green Bay Botanical Gardens, in the cottage garden. I bet the chickies would enjoy the whole plant.

It's such a pretty plant and fun to grow even if it's just for the wild birds. There is a red form called Scarlet Pimpernel(the famous swashbuckler book lol). I just reminded myself! Have to grow that again!

I'll look that up. (Scarlet is my favorite Crayola color!) I told myself I'd only do "necessary" crops this year and calm down on the wild flower kingdom....ahem.
hmm.png
I don't think I'll be able to ignore the pretties, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom