Pics
We are looking into mixing our own feed using this fella’s formula on a YouTube video:

Premium whole oats 30lb

Whole corn 20lbs.

Black oil sunflower seeds 20lb

Split Peas 10lbs

Flax seed 5lbs

Add DE as well maybe a cup?

So we see that TS is where we can source the first three ingredients, but I’m wondering gbwhere Incan buy bulk split peas and bulk flax seeds.
Does anyone else mix their own feed, if so what fro you use, what amounts and where do you find your ingredients? Appreciate any help. 😁
https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Green-Split-Peas-Pounds/dp/B07B2MWVR9?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Brown-Flaxseed-Whole-Kosher-Food/dp/B01IBSZL56/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1YEMWMN76JAXZ&keywords=non+gmo+bulk+flax+seed&qid=1675006864&s=grocery&sprefix=non+gmo+bulk+flax+seed,grocery,128&sr=1-1-spons&smid=A6NL9JOZSRI4P&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQzA2NzJKOTFCWDhEJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjcxNDI3M1I4UzVONVlJVlhUViZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjEwODI0MjZDODU2MEQyVzY0UCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1 I make my own. I use: Oats and barley not to exceed 15%, wheat, field peas or sometimes split peas, corn, flax seed, fish meal and kelp. I think you have to do your own recipe based on whatever else you feed them. Such as, my chickens get well cooked meat, and fresh vegetables and fruit everyday. I keep their oyster shell in a container separate from the grit that they can get to at any time.

Last edited:
WEF?
I try to avoid purina brands, because Nestle is their parent company.
And they make the devil look like a boy scout.

However, that has nothing to do with product quality, but all with company policy. There are other brands, not owned by Purina or TSC.
and there are other feed stores. I buy the majority of my feed from a locally owned business. And I don't mind paying a little more there.
Purina Chicken feed's parent company is Land O Lakes not Nestle.

The matter at hand isn't simply "I noticed MY birds laying has decreased." It's "I noticed my bird stopped laying, and so did all these other people's too, and based on our shared experience it seems to be linked to the brands of feed we used."

Nobody here is in a position to prove anything. People are just starting to voice what they're experiencing, and already you're here basically telling us to provide a peer reviewed study or shut our mouths.

Don't like the conversation, then stay out of the thread or don't engage. Personally, I'm tired of people like you who have the audacity to believe you can police our posts, speech, and what is allowed to be discussed.
People are giving their opinions, but I have yet to see that anyone had the feed tested or approached the companies which is the first thing that should have been done.

I try to avoid purina brands, because Nestle is their parent company.

Purina Chicken feed's parent company is Land O Lakes not Nestle.

According to wikipedia, Purina split up, so now the chicken food part is owned by Land O Lakes and the pet food part is owned by Nestle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralston_Purina
Selected quotes from the wikipedia article:

Ralston Purina (originally Ralston-Purina) traces its roots to 1894
In 1986, Ralston Purina sold Purina Mills, its US animal feed business, to British Petroleum. Purina Mills is now owned by Land O'Lakes.
Ralston Purina became the subject of an acquisition bid by Swiss-based Nestlé, whose Friskies brand was the other leading US brand of pet food. Nestlé S.A. and Ralston Purina announced in January 2001 a definitive merger agreement.

@8shotsmorethots, I didn't accuse anyone of getting political. I said mods often intervene when things do get political. Hinting at censorship, blaming elites, the government, and our "Orwellian society" is going that direction. So calm down. I'm going to go gather the plethora of eggs my girls are laying even though they eat Dumor.

But my geese aren't laying eggs. They haven't laid any in months. They eat Dumor sometimes, too. Maybe you're onto something.

Last edited:
@CarlaCo asked a few straight-forward questions. It is my opinion that either we should answer the question and help; or not say anything at all. We are here to share information and support each other, not to "label" people or create divided groups.
Exactly. My confusion was not for Carla. Others have veered away from the actual question.

There have been several suggestions for how to approach mixing your own feed, @CarlaCo. I hope some of it was useful. While I think it's too early to blame the feed, you can always try something different.

@CarlaCo asked a few straight-forward questions. It is my opinion that either we should answer the question and help; or not say anything at all. We are here to share information and support each other, not to "label" people or create divided groups.
If people gave facts and not an uneducated opinion it would be impossible to label people cause it's facts. Yet when people want someone to back up a claim it's flaming or being un nice which is against policy and gets removed. That's sad. So basically it's OK for frivolous information to run rampid here but facts are a nono. No wonder why so many first posts from people start off by saying "I've searched now I'm so confused ". Let's see how long this post takes to vanish and me get yet another love letter saying how mean I am

Back
Top Bottom