Pics
If people gave facts and not an uneducated opinion it would be impossible to label people cause it's facts. Yet when people want someone to back up a claim it's flaming or being un nice which is against policy and gets removed. That's sad. So basically it's OK for frivolous information to run rampid here but facts are a nono. No wonder why so many first posts from people start off by saying "I've searched now I'm so confused ". Let's see how long this post takes to vanish and me get yet another love letter saying how mean I am
@sdm111. If you get a letter from me, it will be because the folks who know do love you.

We're not talking about winter decrease. We're talking about basically and stop to laying, and for at least some people, it began very early.

Birds stop laying all the time. They have for as long as humans have domesticated them - one of the reasons people frequently ate the flock over winter, keeping just a few of the best birds to hatch new birds in spring. And often tried to time hatches so that new layers would produce over the first winter (whil older layers went to the table)

Virginia Tech Co-op
Oregon State (archived from almost two decades ago)
Mississippi State
U of KY
my local Extension office
Virginia Poly
UMN

The Omlet coop people (UK)
PBS Pet travel CO (UK)

With a quick search "why aren't my chicks laying" on Google, you will find hundreds of websites offering a very similar list of reasons hens stop laying. It is common, normal, and expected. There is nothing new about it, certainly nothing sensational about it.

Here's an October 1999 manual of considerations for Lohman Browns (start at lighting, p28)

Krueger was studying lighting levels on hen egg production ion the late 70s. Meyer joined in in the early 80s. Hard to find their research in print (pre-modern internet) but many modern lighting studies (mostly on LEDs - use "warm" wavelengths - yellow/reds) reference or rely on the findings of their prior works in pushing the envelope of our understanding. Not the first, however - here's something from 1960.

According to wikipedia, Purina split up, so now the chicken food part is owned by Land O Lakes and the pet food part is owned by Nestle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralston_Purina
Selected quotes from the wikipedia article:

Ralston Purina (originally Ralston-Purina) traces its roots to 1894
In 1986, Ralston Purina sold Purina Mills, its US animal feed business, to British Petroleum. Purina Mills is now owned by Land O'Lakes.
Ralston Purina became the subject of an acquisition bid by Swiss-based Nestlé, whose Friskies brand was the other leading US brand of pet food. Nestlé S.A. and Ralston Purina announced in January 2001 a definitive merger agreement.
Yeah, its a confused mess. Its no wonder people are frequently mistaken about it. I've made the error myself more than once, in spite of being aware of it. Now I just try to avoid talking about who owns whom or mills for who, rather than looking it up each time.

If people gave facts and not an uneducated opinion it would be impossible to label people cause it's facts. Yet when people want someone to back up a claim it's flaming or being un nice which is against policy and gets removed. That's sad. So basically it's OK for frivolous information to run rampid here but facts are a nono. No wonder why so many first posts from people start off by saying "I've searched now I'm so confused ". Let's see how long this post takes to vanish and me get yet another love letter saying how mean I am
I didn't say what you had to say was a nono. I said that everyone has the right to state an opinion and ask questions without being attacked as not having facts. If there is enough evidence for them - why do you care? Aren't they permitted to come up with their own summary? and aren't you? But for you to make the argument of "facts"; you know how that goes...data is most of the time, in favor of what the author(s) are selling. I posted an article about Gapeworm here. I cited an article published by an Avian Vet with 30-years of experience who has not had a confirmed (by fecal of necrospy) case of Gapeworm for over a decade. He contacted the State labs in Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Alabama, Virginia, California, Maryland, and New Jersey. They have not had a confirmed case in many years also. Despite this statistical "fact" people are still saying they are treating for Gapeworms and that they think their chicken has gapeworm without a confirmed test. You would never see me call their post "frivolous".

Last edited:
What is a fact for one person or one flock can be a no go gor another person or another flock.

There are so many different people who do things in their own way , and find certain things important where others have completely other ways of doing things or priorities.

Also the many different chickens (breeds and individual chickens), climates, housing circumstances… , etc… that it’s impossible to give a one best solution for all.

Have you looked into including amaranth in your mix, @CarlaCo ?
I looked up "can I feed amaranth to chickens" because my husband wants to grow it, and came upon this (i'm typing in the link, it's on a different device)

afs.ca.uky.edu

I think it's worth looking into. However, 2 things: 1) you'd have to see how exactly to heat treat it to get the required nutrients (kill the antinutrients) and 2) I think this is common knowledge, that when you take anything from other countries, and other times in this country, that the farming methods might strip some of the mineral content, so you'd have to see about that.

I'm trying Amaranth in my pasture right now - not enough of it survived the bird's efforts to eat the seeds after planting to do more than provide a splash of color, but I hope it spreads in coming years. Also, a Sorghum/sudangrass hybrid. and buckwheet. I'd like to get some teff growing. and we know I've already planted fenugreek, whose seeds have very high levels of methionine. Also, I need it for cooking. ;)

I'm trying Amaranth in my pasture right now - not enough of it survived the bird's efforts to eat the seeds after planting to do more than provide a splash of color, but I hope it spreads in coming years. Also, a Sorghum/sudangrass hybrid. and buckwheet. I'd like to get some teff growing. and we know I've already planted fenugreek, whose seeds have very high levels of methionine. Also, I need it for cooking. ;)
I read that Sesame seeds were relatively high as well

Back
Top Bottom