I've grown the ornamental amaranth from Baker Creek Seeds. Even thought they are ornamental they produce a ton of seed.

In another life I also fought the "pigweed" types of Amaranthus like A. palmeri. They are more vigorous and invasive (invasive in a good way if you want them) . Both the foliage and the seeds are eaten by fowl.
Kind of off topic, but I really like Baker Creek seeds.

In another life we fought the "pigweed" types of Amaranthus like A. palmeri. They are more vigorous and invasive (invasive is a good thing if you want them) . Both the foliage and the seeds are eaten by fowl.
That stuff, and lambs quarter, come up wild in my garden every year. Lamb's quarter is the first "crop" I get; love that stuff. The pigweed is ok, but chewier. I share both with the chickens. :)
Kind of off topic, but I really like Baker Creek seeds.
Love them. I order from them every year.

The matter at hand isn't simply "I noticed MY birds laying has decreased." It's "I noticed my bird stopped laying, and so did all these other people's too, and based on our shared experience it seems to be linked to the brands of feed we used."

Nobody here is in a position to prove anything. People are just starting to voice what they're experiencing, and already you're here basically telling us to provide a peer reviewed study or shut our mouths.

Don't like the conversation, then stay out of the thread or don't engage. Personally, I'm tired of people like you who have the audacity to believe you can police our posts, speech, and what is allowed to be discussed.

Yeah but it's all new chicken keepers who don't know that birds stop and or slow down with their laying around their second year. Chickens (usually) stop laying for the winter months. Period. Their body goes into hibernation mode and they molt.

Sunlight is a big requirement to make eggs. They need 12 to 14 hours of sunlight to make eggs. Guess what's less in the winter months?

It's okay to be ignorant and not know things, but people spread misinformation all the time. And some do it purposely to get people in a tizzy.

Yeah but it's all new chicken keepers who don't know that birds stop and or slow down with their laying around their second year. Chickens (usually) stop laying for the winter months. Period. Their body goes into hibernation mode and they molt.

Sunlight is a big requirement to make eggs. They need 12 to 14 hours of sunlight to make eggs. Guess what's less in the winter months?

It's okay to be ignorant and not know things, but people spread misinformation all the time. And some do it purposely to get people in a tizzy.
People who feel the need to say things like "Period" and make snide allusions to others being ignorant or any other belittle remarks usually aren't people who are very informed, honest, or feel secure in their position.

I was well aware that chickens slow down in the winter months. I researched everything I could when I got my chickens and knew what to expect. That's why I thought everything was normal at first. I was expecting a slow down, but I was very surprised that it was a literal completely stop to laying. You claim chickens usually. Well on this feed I'm using, they haven't and they've been laying like normal. I've read the same from plenty of others who have had years of experience. They said they've never not had any eggs. Fewer in the winter months than normal, yes, but still producing. And for some people, this began for them in October.

You should look into what people, new and experienced are saying, then reread your last paragraph. It applies to you more than anybody else.

I was well aware that chickens slow down in the winter months. I researched everything I could when I got my chickens and knew what to expect. That's why I thought everything was normal at first. I was expecting a slow down, but I was very surprised that it was a literal completely stop to laying. You claim chickens usually. Well on this feed I'm using, they haven't and they've been laying like normal. ..
Do you still have some of the old feed, that your chickens were eating when they were not laying?

Back
Top Bottom