People who feel the need to say things like "Period" and make snide allusions to others being ignorant or any other belittle remarks usually aren't people who are very informed, honest, or feel secure in their position.

I was well aware that chickens slow down in the winter months. I researched everything I could when I got my chickens and knew what to expect. That's why I thought everything was normal at first. I was expecting a slow down, but I was very surprised that it was a literal completely stop to laying. You claim chickens usually. Well on this feed I'm using, they haven't and they've been laying like normal. I've read the same from plenty of others who have had years of experience. They said they've never not had any eggs. Fewer in the winter months than normal, yes, but still producing. And for some people, this began for them in October.

You should look into what people, new and experienced are saying, then reread your last paragraph. It applies to you more than anybody else.
Not in complete disagreement, but October is a normal time for hens to decrease/cease laying, depending on your climate and location. Sometimes even sooner, esp when molting is factored in. Climatically speaking, this year has been, overall, wetter than average and much colder in the majority of the country. I'm open-minded to other possibilities (there is always some feed or other being recalled, etc), but the historic data tends to favor factors other than feed additives being the cause.

People who feel the need to say things like "Period" and make snide allusions to others being ignorant or any other belittle remarks usually aren't people who are very informed, honest, or feel secure in their position.

I was well aware that chickens slow down in the winter months. I researched everything I could when I got my chickens and knew what to expect. That's why I thought everything was normal at first. I was expecting a slow down, but I was very surprised that it was a literal completely stop to laying. You claim chickens usually. Well on this feed I'm using, they haven't and they've been laying like normal. I've read the same from plenty of others who have had years of experience. They said they've never not had any eggs. Fewer in the winter months than normal, yes, but still producing. And for some people, this began for them in October.

You should look into what people, new and experienced are saying, then reread your last paragraph. It applies to you more than anybody else.
It's not belittling to be ignorant. Ignorant means you didn't know something, and that's fine. The literal definition is "unlearned". I'm ignorant on a lot of topics and will happily admit to being ignorant and wrong when I'm wrong.

🤷‍♀️ Usually my older birds do slow down and stop in the winter but this year I've had quite a few 1+ year olds still lay, but others stopped in October too due to molt. I've been keeping for 7+ years so I know a thing or two, and again a lot I don't, but chickens each are individual animals and do things their own way when I think I've got a pin on what I know.

Idk man. You can think it's a conspiracy all you want. You can feed your birds whatever you want. The weather the past few years has been whack. We've gotten blizzards and more snow in the winter than I've ever seen in my lifetime here in Oklahoma. We had drought and crappy weather in the summer but we drown in the fall and spring.

Weather has so much to do with influencing their laying.

It's not belittling to be ignorant. Ignorant means you didn't know something, and that's fine. The literal definition is "unlearned". I'm ignorant on a lot of topics and will happily admit to being ignorant and wrong when I'm wrong.
Thanks, I'm well aware what the word means. It's belittling to call somebody ignorant, especially when they're not. "Aww shucks, nothing wrong with that little guy, you just didn't know any better. It's okay, you have time to learn more and one day you might know what you're talking about." That's the attitude and message from your post. I wasn't ignorant on anything. I was well aware that chickens slow down in Winter months.

Have you not read the posts from the people who say they've never had their chickens completely stop all together like this? The ones from people saying even with artificial light to make up for the few hours of daytime? How do they factor into it? Are you going to happily admit that you were being ignorant in your post?

Thanks, I'm well aware what the word means. It's belittling to call somebody ignorant, especially when they're not. "Aww shucks, nothing wrong with that little guy, you just didn't know any better. It's okay, you have time to learn more and one day you might know what you're talking about." That's the attitude and message from your post. I wasn't ignorant on anything. I was well aware that chickens slow down in Winter months.

Have you not read the posts from the people who say they've never had their chickens completely stop all together like this? The ones from people saying even with artificial light to make up for the few hours of daytime? How do they factor into it? Are you going to happily admit that you were being ignorant in your post?

Since I haven't read their posts, yes, I'm ignorant on that. I don't know what else to tell you other than I didn't know of it and therefore I'm ignorant of it.

If you're expecting me to be contrarian to something I've stated because I don't have an issue to admitting I'm wrong about something? You're barking up the wrong tree.

Since I haven't read their posts, yes, I'm ignorant on that. I don't know what else to tell you other than I didn't know of it and therefore I'm ignorant of it.

If you're expecting me to be contrarian to something I've stated because I don't have an issue to admitting I'm wrong about something? You're barking up the wrong tree.
No, that's great and I'm glad to hear it. You admit that alluding to me being ignorant was ignorance on your part, and that's big of you and I commend it.

No, that's great and I'm glad to hear it. You admit that alluding to me being ignorant was ignorance on your part, and that's big of you and I commend it.

Glad I could make your day! I still don't believe in anything you've stated about feed being the issue, especially since one BYC user has graciously offered to handle all feed testing and costs if you'd participate but you refused. And since this is your first, not even full year, in chicken keeping, I'm glad you're confident enough to be smarmy about things.

But again, glad I could make your day! Enjoy your evening.

Glad I could make your day! I still don't believe in anything you've stated about feed being the issue, especially since one BYC user has graciously offered to handle all feed testing and costs if you'd participate but you refused. And since this is your first, not even full year, in chicken keeping, I'm glad you're confident enough to be smarmy about things.

But again, glad I could make your day! Enjoy your evening.
What do you mean I refused? How exactly am I to participate? If I had any of the feed in question left, I would happily send it to her to be tested. Unfortunately it's long gone.

We are looking into mixing our own feed using this fella’s formula on a YouTube video:

Premium whole oats 30lb

Whole corn 20lbs.

Black oil sunflower seeds 20lb

Split Peas 10lbs

Flax seed 5lbs

Add DE as well maybe a cup?

So we see that TS is where we can source the first three ingredients, but I’m wondering gbwhere Incan buy bulk split peas and bulk flax seeds.
Does anyone else mix their own feed, if so what fro you use, what amounts and where do you find your ingredients? Appreciate any help. 😁
I've mixed my own feed for my ducks. I haven't done it for the chickens because they pick out the ingredients they want and leave the rest, and I don't have a grinder to mill it. It's likely to be very expensive unless you can maybe find a good local source for the ingredients. I can get all my ingredients from a farm an hour from me, who is a dealer for https://sunrisefarm.net/. Their peas are $31/50 lbs, and their flax seeds are $66/50 lbs. That's the cheapest I can find anywhere. The entire feed is around $35/50 lbs.
It would be a good idea to do some research on the nutrients and do some calculations. I add Fertrell poultry nutri-balancer to make sure it has enough vitamins and minerals.

Back
Top Bottom