Bulkhead for a chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Carlos142, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Carlos142

Carlos142 New Egg

Feb 16, 2011
    Hello all. I'm new here and am looking for some advice.

I have a good size bulkhead basement door. The bulkhead has a door on the inside to the basement as well as an exterior door. I'd estimate the bulkhead to be 4' x 6' with concrete steps inside. Is there any special considerations I should think about in turning this into a chicken coop? I have read pretty extensively about coop design, and understand the basics that I need to provide. If am able to provide the basics, is there any reasons why I should not use the bulkhead?

Thanks for any opinions on this!

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I would be very careful in the placement of such a thing in regards to the sun. It could become an oven before you are ready to have your chickens cooked!
    Ventilation anywhere?

3. Carlos142

Carlos142 New Egg

Feb 16, 2011
    I would add ventilation. It is on the back of my south-facing house, so I was more worried about cold (I'm in MA), but I would add a heatlamp. It would be easy to run wiring since the bulkhead is attached to my house.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I think pictures would help. I'm having a hard time imagining a giant door in the ground over some concrete steps becoming a chicken coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by