Bullet Pithing

The bullet (actually shot) pithing was a disaster. She got up and started to run away, can they do this with no brain or did I miss? I ran five more shots and she kept moving.

Well, they can run with no head at all, so I guess. The only one we've shot my honey did from maybe 10 feet with a pellet gun and the roo just dropped where he stood. I'm sorry you had such a bad time, but she's better now. Use it as a learning experience.

You would have been better with shooting for the heart than the head. The brain is tiny, so more than likely you missed the brain. Hard lessoned learned but the easiest and most humane way to kill a bird is dislocating the head from the neck. It's easiest by stepping gently on the head, just pressure, and pull straight up with the bird. It dislocates the neck in just a second or two and the death is instant.

It's a tough job no matter what way you do it.

Taking a look, I totally missed the brain, I didn't allow for feather fluff. Poor thing, it was alive for minutes, because I never hit anything major. At least now she is in no pain.

I tried to stretch the neck once years ago, I heard a pop when I pulled and I thought that was it, then went to drain it and I noticed the bird staring at me like what the hell are you doing. My first and last attempt at processing my own dinner. (it was a roo I hated)

Back
Top Bottom