We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Bullied chick has improved. Do you use herbal remedies for your flock? Unsure of dosage for chick.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DuckDuckGooseMum, Aug 13, 2019.

1. DuckDuckGooseMum

DuckDuckGooseMum Chirping

Aug 5, 2019
    Thanks for the advice and information which has been a great help in trying to save this chick! She's doing better. I continued the use of the homemade ointment, which worked very well for a swollen, irritated bum. If you encounter this problem, a zinc based ointment might be useful. It worked really well for her.
    I tried using a chick chair I made, but she didn't like it and didn't fit into it very well. If necessary I will fashion another one.
    Using a cut out sponge would probably be a very helpful tool for some chick injuries or illnesses also as it limits the movement but provides a relatively therapeutic & comfortable resting place. This chick did not like the confinement of it and wouldn't stay in it.
    The abdomen has been really puffy, but the swelling has improved some. I know that Oregano & Cinnamon have antibiotic properties and have been successfully used as a curative as well as in a probiotic, preventative capacity. I have been giving her small pieces of Oregano from my herb garden and added Thyme, Rosemary & Spearmint today. I bought Oregano essential oil and added a drop of both this and Cinnamon bark essential oil to the starter food. I use unmedicated starter crumbs.
    I am new to all of this though so I was hoping some of you may know about the optimal dosage of essential oils for a chick just over a week old?
    I want to start using both essential oils and organic harvested herbs for my flock and would love to hear from those of you who do this and your observations about its effectiveness!
    Thank you!

azygous and Kayla's Lunch like this.
  2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    DuckDuckGooseMum and Sequel like this.
  3. Kayla's Lunch

Kayla's Lunch Songster

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland
    Great idea! It would be wonderful for people to share their homemade essential oils, herbal, etc. recipes for sick and injured chickens.

DuckDuckGooseMum and azygous like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: