Bullied SWEET hen being bullied by the whole flock all of a sudden...she is so sweet and so kind...m

Hello and welcome to Backyard chickens!! I hope you enjoy it here and it looks like you have gotten great advice with her, so I will just say hello and good luck!

welcome-byc.gif
One ? that has not been asked, and it is an important one: How big is your coop, how big is the run? Square feet or y' x z'. Often, in the smaller coop/run even though there is the minimum 4 s.f. in coop, and 10 s.f. in run/bird, that does not allow enough room for the underlings in the pecking order to satisfy chicken ettiquett in getting far enough away when a higher up tells them to yield space. You may have to re-home her. With winter coming on, they are going to be even more crotchety about space and pecking order issues. Or, she could have an underlying problem that they are aware of. Flock mentality says to destroy the weaklings for preservation and safety of the flock.

So I sprayed her with the Blu-kote on her head, although because of her light colored feathers (BO) it may have made it more noticeable. She is still staying away from all the others and not joining the flock, even with the major bully out of the picture.

Our run is at least 40' x 20' and the coop is 8' x 6', so maybe the coop is a little too small. We could build on to it if we need to before winter. It is just strange that they have been together for 1.5 yrs with no problems and then all of sudden there are issues.

I am worried if she is not strong enough rehoming her make another flock pick on her too and I won't be there to help her (momma bear). She does appear to be eating and drinking more, so once she is healed maybe she will feel better.

I still have the bully in a smaller run away from the others....hoping things get better!

Worried about her staying warm this winter. Do you think I need to make the coop and/or run larger. We have a dog house in the run as well that they jump on top of and she is going in there to lay down sometimes for shade and a quiet place I guess

Thanks for all the advice.....my flock seems to be getting along much better. I will say the bully was separated from the flock for two weeks and went back to being top hen, but not so much of a bully yet. Fingers crossed things don't change this winter. We are expanded our coop, just to be safe. I have been letting them free range more too to help (supervised). Thanks again everyone, you were very helpful!!

Thanks for all the advice.....my flock seems to be getting along much better.  I will say the bully was separated from the flock for two weeks and went back to being top hen, but not so much of a bully yet.  Fingers crossed things don't change this winter.  We are expanded our coop, just to be safe.  I have been letting them free range more too to help (supervised).  Thanks again everyone, you were very helpful!!

Glad to hear things are going well for you.

10/30 I am sorry to report that Clair past away today. She had only just gotten her entire crown back and was very happy with her silkie friends Darla and Dottie.

The past three days she would just sit for the longest times, then move around a bit. I went to check on her and she was on her side.

She was my most favorite. She was still laying when we got her last year from a breeder in lakeside that treated her awful. At least she got

a comfortable last couple months.

Back
Top Bottom