Bully Baby

I should have taken a video to post because I've never seen a little creature be such a tyrant! I did my nest to not intervene, but everyone was stressed and there were significant injuries happening :( After a few days of separation, we're back to normal behavior (if we can call eye pecks and toe grabbing normal ;))

Thanks for the post - if anything like this happens again I'm feeling more confident in handling it!
Yeah, I remember how upset I was! I was standing right there looking down at the cute little creatures and then one just grabs the other ones eye! I do have all different breeds though and some of them are breeds that are excellent foragers and the one that was doing the eye picking is one of those breeds. A SGDorking!

Yeah, I remember how upset I was! I was standing right there looking down at the cute little creatures and then one just grabs the other ones eye! I do have all different breeds though and some of them are breeds that are excellent foragers and the one that was doing the eye picking is one of those breeds. A SGDorking!
I have 8 chicks and 8 different breeds - the little Sussex was going after our lighter chicks (Buff Orpington, Light Brahma, and New Hampshire)...little black eyes against light fluff :hmm I have experience with older chickens but not hatchlings, so it's comforting to know that their behavior can be just as horrifying. Ha! But they're sooooo cute...:D

I have 8 chicks and 8 different breeds - the little Sussex was going after our lighter chicks (Buff Orpington, Light Brahma, and New Hampshire)...little black eyes against light fluff :hmm I have experience with older chickens but not hatchlings, so it's comforting to know that their behavior can be just as horrifying. Ha! But they're sooooo cute...:D
Yeah, Sussex are not an aggressive breed they are a breed that is known for their excellent foraging skills. They love bugs! I think that eyes look like little black beetles and toes probably look like little worms!

*Update* for @Matzwd - you mentioned you were following this thread, so I figured I would let you know how things were going!
Thank you for the update! It's really helpful to hear what works for other chicks (human and poultry, lol). It sounds like your struggle was a bit difficult.

My sebright baby that was being not so nice just suddenly stopped, but the ayam cemani started picking on anyone with a black mask (SLWs and French BCM) when I added them to the mix. I too read that reaching one week old would help, and honestly, I think it did. I also added puffy bug and halographic stickers to the brooder box, along with a mirror and marbles for entertainment. For the ayam, I did try correction by gently "pecking" with my finger when she went after the masked bandits. I felt like it sort of made her afraid of my hand. Anyhow, bad behavior has ceased, and I've got 21 very well-behaved chickies living together in peace now. I didn't end up having to separate anyone.

Last edited:
My 4-5 week old barred rock ameraucana cross is bullying my 5 week old white Silkie! She is pulling her feathers out and eating them. She’s drawn blood a few times. I have them separated, I have 4 all this age so they are in groups of 2s. When they are out of the coop area she does not peck her at all. Only when they are in a closed off area. Will peck no more help in this situation? Or should I try adding protein to the feather pluckers diet? She’s driving me crazy. She only does it to the white Silkie. I have a black one also but she doesn’t bother her.

Thank you for the update! It's really helpful to hear what works for other chicks (human and poultry, lol). It sounds like your struggle was a bit difficult.

My sebright baby that was being not so nice just suddenly stopped, but the ayam cemani started picking on anyone with a black mask (SLWs and French BCM) when I added them to the mix. I too read that reaching one week old would help, and honestly, I think it did. I also added puffy bug and halographic stickers to the brooder box, along with a mirror and marbles for entertainment. For the ayam, I did try correction by gently "pecking" with my finger when she went after the masked bandits. I felt like it sort of made her afraid of my hand. Anyhow, bad behavior has ceased, and I've got 21 very well-behaved chickies living together in peace now. I didn't end up having to separate anyone.
This is a great update! So happy to hear things have settled down in your brooder too :D

My 4-5 week old barred rock ameraucana cross is bullying my 5 week old white Silkie! She is pulling her feathers out and eating them. She’s drawn blood a few times. I have them separated, I have 4 all this age so they are in groups of 2s. When they are out of the coop area she does not peck her at all. Only when they are in a closed off area. Will peck no more help in this situation? Or should I try adding protein to the feather pluckers diet? She’s driving me crazy. She only does it to the white Silkie. I have a black one also but she doesn’t bother her.
Both your ideas sound good. She might also be bored, too.

Back
Top Bottom