Bully barred rock

So sad to hear that. I had a barrred rock years ago and she was a sweetheart - super nice personality, but then I suppose you can always get a bad chicken in any breed. I had sexlinks that were grouchy - never would let me get too near them. But then my one Rhode Island Red was a sweetheart - she'd always come and sit on my shoulder when I fed them. I love my Buff Orpingtons that I have right now. I inherited them from someone else after they were fully grown, but they have realy adapted well to me and are not at all skitish. I can't hold them but they'll eat out of my hand and will let me pet them when they are sitting on the roost (although that's probably because they aren't completely alert when they've been roosting).
I love when they sit on me. My barred rock is the friendliest with me out of all my girls. They all allow me to hold them and won’t run from me but barred rock is the one who will follow me whenever I go in the yard.

I also have 2 barred rock hens 8 months old raised with 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 buff orpingtons.. who have started pecking at all the other hens rear ends whenever they eat. The 2 barred rocks always seemed to be at the bottom of the hierarchy and so do really seem like typical bullies. I put them in bully jail for 2 days but when let out one resumed the pecking behavior immediately .. the other waited a bit but I also caught her at it again today so both back in jail. They are within sight of the others in the run but contained a fed separately. Is there anything else I can do.. how long should they stay in jail?
Thanks for any suggestions.

If she doesn't work, move her on. Always solve for peace in the flock/
I was actually in the process of finding her a new home and it was like she knew and She has stopped the bullying on her own, not sure what was the cause of it. She still tries her best to beat everyone to eat or get yummy treats but the picking and stomping has stopped. My husband jokes when she come up to him asking her if she’s still in her “hennopause” cause he claims she looks at him with disgust and planning an attack 🤣 She’s back to her sweet self.

Interesting. My Barred Rock that I used to have was such a sweetheart. I guess you just never can tell with chickens. :)
She’s actually back to her sweet old fat self 🥰 I did notice that while one of my other girls was broody she was so mean to everyone. Now the chicks have hatched and are out and about with them and she’s so different. I was afraid she’d try and kill them or something but she scratches and eats with them and momma.

Back
Top Bottom