1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bully chick HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amaliayosa, Mar 12, 2008.

1. amaliayosa

amaliayosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey everyone, new mama here of 27 chick, never had chickens before and am stressing. There seems to be a bully in my new flock. He/she is going around and pecking the other chicks beaks. I am afraid he/she is going to hurt them, he is causing a major ruckus.
    I am using a 4 fot round kiddie pool as a brooder, and a 250 watt RED bulb heat lamp. The temp is 90-100.
    Help! I dont want any casualties.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they are under a week old, they are still exploring each other and not being malicous yet. They will out grow that brooder in no time though! Best get a working on a bigger brooder lest you have babies running and pooing all over the carpet when you get up in the morning... had that happen once... not so good. If they are older than about a week old or two, they could be getting bored though so keep an eye out for pecking and be ready to put them in a much larger pen or two more brooder pools.

3. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have one black australorp roo that is a real terror. He went around pulling the feathers out of the others tails to the point of bloody bums. The more chicks he picked on the more the others would chase and pick on the injured ones. I had to separate him along with the injured ones in separate cages. What a pain. When the others healed I put them back in the main brooder and all is fine. The roo is still seperated. Every time I try to reintroduce him back into the flock he starts the same attacks. At just 5 weeks I have just about had it. I just don't know if it is worth it to keep him around. When I change his water and food he attacks my hands and has drawn blood a number of times. I am in a quandary. John

4. seafood

seafood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Quote:I havent even received my first order of chicks yet but if that dude belonged to me...he'd be gone.

5. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    When I had my 1st set of chicks, a couple of them were pecking on the other's beaks to the point their beaks were bleeding. I put mentholatum on the beaks and the pecking all stopped.

6. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Quote:
    I havent even received my first order of chicks yet but if that dude belonged to me...he'd be gone.

It has about come to that

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

My new babies are between a week and 4 days old. all in the same brooder. They peck each other in the head, eye, check, chest bumb, and my favorite of all........"Dog pile on the rabbit" [​IMG] "Dog pile on the rabbit" [​IMG] (Buggs Bunny cartoon) They will all be sleeping and someone will run and jump right on top of them!! Peep peep peep peep. then they are all up and running again!

Don't worry. I used to be afraid too last year when I had my first chicks. Now, I just let them do what they do. Like my mom always said, "No blood, no harm".

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I had one Welsummer cockeral chick that was a real BULLY and killing two of his siblings. I immediately put him down and there was everlasting peace among the flock LOL!

9. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Pick him up and carry him around. Give him loooooove and belly rubs. He'll chill out.

10. amaliayosa

amaliayosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks everyone! My friend came over today and took her 8 chicks, I think she may have taken the bully cause things have been quiet around here. Also I think it may have been too hot in the brooder yesterday. It was 104 in the center, 95 around the perimeter. BUT now I have one going around picking at others feet! Good grief..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by