Bully Chick

HideawayfarmIN

Hatching
Aug 19, 2020
I have 11 Golden Buffs (red sex-link) that are 5 and 6 weeks old. One of the 6 week old chicks is bullying all of the other chicks. She will peck at their hind feathers until they bleed and I have to separate them. One chick was badly hurt and separated for her safety. I have tried isolating the bully while she can still see the others twice now. The first time for 4 days and she was immediately mean, so she went right back into confinement for 3 more days. Tried again today and she is still going after all the others. Any ideas on how to reform this bully or do I need to get rid of her?

I have 11 Golden Buffs (red sex-link) that are 5 and 6 weeks old. One of the 6 week old chicks is bullying all of the other chicks. She will peck at their hind feathers until they bleed and I have to separate them. One chick was badly hurt and separated for her safety. I have tried isolating the bully while she can still see the others twice now. The first time for 4 days and she was immediately mean, so she went right back into confinement for 3 more days. Tried again today and she is still going after all the others. Any ideas on how to reform this bully or do I need to get rid of her?
How much space do they have?
What else is on their environment?
Can you post pictures of their setup?

How much space do they have?
What else is on their environment?
Can you post pictures of their setup?
They have about 35 sq feet in their indoor enclosure in my garage and then they take daily field trips to a full size chicken tractor outside (~80 sq ft). I will post pictures when I am able to get there. I have shavings as bedding, sticks to climb on, roosting bars, two waterers, and two feeders.

They have about 35 sq feet in their indoor enclosure in my garage and then they take daily field trips to a full size chicken tractor outside (~80 sq ft). I will post pictures when I am able to get there. I have shavings as bedding, sticks to climb on, roosting bars, two waterers, and two feeders.
Does the bully chick bully while in the tractor? They should be feathered enough to move them out permanently.
Is your tractor predator proof?

Does the bully chick bully while in the tractor? They should be feathered enough to move them out permanently.
Is your tractor predator proof?
She still bullies outside.
This is my first attempt at owning chickens, so it’s ok for them to go out full time? They won’t go up in the roost portion though 🤷🏼‍♀️
The tractors are both predator proof.

Pictured is the indoor setup with the extra crate, the outdoor tractor, and the interior space of the outdoor tractor.
990983AE-6E54-470F-9573-A06CCAEB6EAB.jpeg
444CF487-D560-46E8-AEC4-AFA18A5061E8.jpeg
47EBCE69-65E7-4B61-A275-599B2EA08E82.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom