Bully chicken- seriously evil

Quote: They are worn 24/7 for a few weeks to about a month. I have heard people keeping them on longer, but I like to give the hen a break. What they do is stop the hen from seeing directly in front of them looking forward. They can see down, up and to the sides, but not in front of the peepers. This way, they are not able to point, aim and fire off their beak at the other birds. They learn how to look down to eat and drink. It only takes a day or two to master them, and then they act completely normal with them on. They don't go after the treats as aggressively, but they can still eat everything normally.

The peepers are plastic and fit into the nostrils a bit. Not all the way thru, just inside a bit. It doesn't hurt them. The hen is annoyed at first, but if you are not willing to eat the bird, rehome it, or allow it to tear up the other birds, this is another alternative to those things. :)

Last edited:
th

Pic of a chicken spur. They can be cut down, but it is like a dogs claw, if cut too short it will bleed, or you can use a cooked potato to remove it and course there are other ways information is on this site put removing spurs in the search bar.

Love your avatar Katsdar.

I had a rooster spur cut right through leather gloves one time -- (He was just cooincidentally struggling and it went through my leather gloves and cut my hand...but they were pretty old, old gloves.)

Rooster Despurring video
More that once I have referred to this youtube video of how to despur a rooster -->

This guy makes it look painless and easy.

Thanks ChicKat I take the points off with the dogs nail clippers and you have to watch their claws too, they are sharp little devils, The spurs are no joke.

I have three Silver Laced Wyandottes that are getting too mean to my other chickens. Mainly 5 Buff Orpingtons I got this spring, 1 rooster and 4 hens. The rooster is bigger than the SLW, but he runs from them. I am going to separate the SLW one at a time, also to see which one isn't laying eggs, then will dispose of them, one or all, depends on their behavior. I also have one Barred Plymouth Rock that was the leader of the pack, but that seems to be changing. I've read a lot of good ideas here. This is the first year I have had problems like this. I can't keep roosters because I have grandchildren who come over and I sure don't want any injuries because of the rooster. He's real good around me and my husband, but doesn't like anyone else coming around. Acts almost like a guard dog!!

It's not mean because it's the boss, but it might be the boss because it's mean. Plenty of dominant hens and roosters are gentle and don't use violence to rule over their subordinates --- they're dominant because they're smarter, healthier, older than the ones they dominate, or whatever the reason is. But vicious birds can also become dominant despite being unfit to breed, just because they're more harmful than any other bird in the flock wants to be.

It's not mean because it's the boss, but it might be the boss because it's mean. Plenty of dominant hens and roosters are gentle and don't use violence to rule over their subordinates --- they're dominant because they're smarter, healthier, older than the ones they dominate, or whatever the reason is. But vicious birds can also become dominant despite being unfit to breed, just because they're more harmful than any other bird in the flock wants to be.
goodpost.gif

Very wise. Your tag line is rather brilliant.

I am getting a 12 week old cockerel, a Rhode Island Red to breed with my layers.Lady on Craigslist had him for free, she got two "sexed" reds for laying and they are cockerels. I am giving her 2 mixed pullets , feel sorry for her. I hope he is old enough that my 3 comets don't bully him. Comets are great layers and smaller tan the NH reds or Orpingtons but they are mean birds.

Back
Top Bottom