Bully chicken- seriously evil

we don't have a garage, we have a shop, but no animals are aloud in there. I did the hogtying thing today and it seems to have worked

Put her in the pot, no JK, try carrying her around the yard, humiliate her, it worked for my mean roo, every time he was being mean I'd chase him grab him up and walk around with him and he soon stopped, guess he didn't like all the hugs
idunno.gif
I'd have to chase him back into the pen so I could catch him. See then your top dog of the yard

Get a rooster. Most roosters don't tolerate bully's. I have a small bantam rooster in charge of my flock. Even when the large hens start to fight he will coming running and chase the instigator around for a minute and everything returns to normal.

There's a handy bit of info to be gleaned from all this... Mitigation measures are that much harder to implement when you don't have the setup or resources. You're extremely limited if you don't have a few simple things every single chicken keeper needs to use sooner or later.

One of the most important of these 'tools of the trade' is: a small cage for separating birds into. It can be obtained from various sources, or made easily, and it always ends up being invaluable for unexpected reasons, in my experience.

If it was my chook I'd eat her, but you've mentioned you love her, so best wishes with your rehabilitation attempts. I too have hobbled or shackled aggressive birds when forced to, i.e. I chose to keep a very chook-aggro turkey hen until I'd gotten a crop of munchies off her, since it's hard to come by them around here, and she also had to be shackled when I traveled her... Sometimes it works. But overall I cull birds whose natural inclinations are ugly.

Thats right on the roo. I forgot my roo who is in charge of the flock does put the others in their place and keeps the peace, if someone squawks he comes a running to stop what ever is going on.

I "peck" mine (with my finger) whenever she gets an attitude. So far it's worked out allright. She's a polish hen with one blind eye and scars on her forehead. I think she was lowest before I got her and is trying to stay on top here. But with 7 other birds, I work with her to make her more social and help her understand I'm at the top of the pecking order.

I had one comet that was beating up on my other comets. When I put them in with the rest of my flock, my roo beat her up pretty badly. Pulled her out to heal for a few weeks and though she migrated to the rest of her comet family, they put her on bottom. She is now the very bottom of the pecking order.
So I am not the only comet owner with a Bully. All three of my comets are bully's. They pick on one Orpington so badly I wanted to kill all three and it almost came to that. My Orp went broody and hatched egggs we gave her and raised them. She was moved to a different coop for this. When she came back the comets would not stop the beatings and she was hiding on the perch all day. I watched and found the big bully and put her in a dog crate for 2 weeks and moved the others in the other coop with a rooster to keep them in line. When they came back the other birds beat them good. My Orp finally was standing her ground and when the bully tried to beat her the other two Orps beat on it and it was over. My birds seem to group up by breed and stick together.

Back
Top Bottom