Bully chicken- seriously evil

I will, I feel so bad for my RIR girl that she really hurt a lot, now that one has pasty butt which she didn't have before, so I have lots of things to fix

Well, I let her out today and all is well, I think being unable to get near the flock and sleeping in a separate spot from the others kind of brought her up to speed. Thanks for the help guys:)

If the bad behavior returns, (and it very well may) hobble her and allow the others to beat her up. Psychology plays a big part in the pecking order. Once deposed, it can be difficult to regain power.

I recently had to deal with this problem myself. My 3 hens were raised together since 4 days old. And Carnie, my Black Australorp, was always top dog. About three months ago she decided that she was going to bully Chynna, my Columbian Wyandotte. Chynna never tried to get higher in the pecking order, she knew her place. This went above and beyond pecking order squabbles. Carnie was out right bullying. She bloodied Chynna's comb, neck and wing. I tried everything, removing Carnie for a week, then two weeks, then three weeks. She did move down one spot in the ranks, but was still above Chynna so the bullying continued.

In the end I decided it was best to rehome her. I gave her to a friend who has a rooster that would keep her in line. My henhouse is MUCH quieter now without her. As sad as it is to see one go, there really is no way to break a bully, especially if the one she is bullying has learned to be submissive and give in to the bullying. Sorry :(

I had one comet that was beating up on my other comets. When I put them in with the rest of my flock, my roo beat her up pretty badly. Pulled her out to heal for a few weeks and though she migrated to the rest of her comet family, they put her on bottom. She is now the very bottom of the pecking order.

If you can isolate her for a couple of weeks she will have to res-establish herself in the pecking order and there is a good chance her behavior will be corrected. If you can't figure out a way to do that she has to go.

Back
Top Bottom