Bully Chickens - integrating Flock

ChristieDB

Chirping
Mar 17, 2018
Statesboro, Georgia
We have 5 chickens who are 2 years old- we recently introduced 11 new chicks- well they are 11 & 10 weeks now... we did it by the book- moved them out into the run/coop for a couple of weeks but in a pen inside the run so they can see each other, etc... but they have been integrated now - no pen for two weeks and the “babies” still hide most of the day because one of the five is being a bully- she chases Th em if they come out for food and water and pecks and even pulls feathers out! We do let them out to free range a few times a day and the babies come out then but it’s not safe to let them out all day without supervision- we have hawks, kites, and an eagle that circle the minute we walk away!
Any suggestions? Should I quit worrying and just let it work out? I’m just worried the babies aren’t eating and drinking as much as they should be backseat of this!

I have one in mean girl jail right now for the same reason. Others with more knowledge than me will chime in asking how big the run is, how many feed/water stations & if you have distractions like places to hide & roost to get out of the way, etc. Even with all that chickens are still just plain old mean sometimes!

Attachments

• IMG_20200514_140308213_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200514_140308213_HDR.jpg
    784.4 KB · Views: 9
I have one in mean girl jail right now for the same reason. Others with more knowledge than me will chime in asking how big the run is, how many feed/water stations & if you have distractions like places to hide & roost to get out of the way, etc. Even with all that chickens are still just plain old mean sometimes!
How long are you keeping her in jail? 24/7? What about when she needs to lay?
Our run is 20x12- more than enough space! And we’ve added water and food stations everywhere! They have places to hide but still run back to the coop and jump on or behind the roosts! I’m thinking of blocking that to see how they respond.

Is there anyway you could let the olders out to range and leave the youngers in the coop and run to give them a break and be able to get comfortable in the space without being harassed?

I'm betting your bully is the low hen of the 5, they are usually the most aggressive to new birds....protecting their place in the pecking order or just jubilant at having someone to beat on.

Our run is 20x12- more than enough space!
How big is the coop?

Can you provide some photos to see if maybe there's a way to improve layout?
Yes, please, pics of coop and run, inside and out.

I have one hen I call “Angry Bird”.

She mercilessly Goes after my chicks THROUGH THE FENCE all day. They have been together but separate for 3 weeks and there seems to be no improvement. She has the door open to free range and she still chooses to harass them all day! My man wants a chicken dinner but I want to try the “Angry Bird Jail” first. The problem is I only have one other adult hen and I’m integrating 12 newbies. Will that be a problem? Can I separate one and let just one other hen integrate with the chicks?

How long are you keeping her in jail? 24/7? What about when she needs to lay?
Our run is 20x12- more than enough space! And we’ve added water and food stations everywhere! They have places to hide but still run back to the coop and jump on or behind the roosts! I’m thinking of blocking that to see how they respond.
She has been separated for, I think, 4 days/24 hrs a day. She is locked in the coop & small run by herself for most of the day (after everyone else lays) & in the crate in the coop to sleep. I gave her an excelsior pad in the crate, but she just makes a little nest in the corner to lay. I had planned on 2/3 days but she was trying to attack the littles through the crate on day 3 so she's still separated. The peace in the flock is so nice. Probably tonight & tomorrow night & I'll give her a shot again.

I have one hen I call “Angry Bird”.

She mercilessly Goes after my chicks THROUGH THE FENCE all day. They have been together but separate for 3 weeks and there seems to be no improvement. She has the door open to free range and she still chooses to harass them all day! My man wants a chicken dinner but I want to try the “Angry Bird Jail” first. The problem is I only have one other adult hen and I’m integrating 12 newbies. Will that be a problem? Can I separate one and let just one other hen integrate with the chicks?
I only had 2 big girls too! The one (non-mean girl) is doing pretty good with the littles by herself.

Last edited:
She has been separated for, I think, 4 days/24 hrs a day. She is locked in the coop & small run by herself for most of the day (after everyone else lays) & in the crate in the coop to sleep. I had planned on 2/3 days but she was trying to attack the littles through the crate on day 3 so she's still separated. The peace in the flock is so nice. Probably tonight & tomorrow night & I'll give her a shot again.

I only had 2 big girls too! The one (non-mean girl) is doing pretty good with the littles by herself.
What breed is your mean girl just out of curiousity?

Attachments

• 156AF313-364D-418F-8AD2-D7D14DE0ECC4.jpeg
    156AF313-364D-418F-8AD2-D7D14DE0ECC4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
My mean girl is a silver laced Wyandotte -

I’ll take pics tomorrow of the run and coop

I do let the big girls out a couple times a day for an hour or two so the little get to be out - and at night the bigs go to roost early- like 6:45-7pm for some reason but the kittens come back out the. To the run out of hiding and then roost about 8pm

Back
Top Bottom