Bully culprit help FTM

Sbr73

Songster
Feb 28, 2021
New Jersey
I have 6 hens who have been together in their coop for a few months now. I had a group of three babies and a week later got another group of 3. They seem to all have been getting along until recently. Two of the six are beginning to lay. I have 3 EE’s that came together and the other 3 are 1 Welsummer, 1 OE, and the other is suppose to be a chocolate Orpington which I don’t believe is. So, recently my OE Olive has been going after one EE Hedwig. Anytime Hedwig is near Olive, Olive goes after her. Whenever Hedwig sees Olive coming, she runs to get away from her. These two are not laying yet. Olive is a big girl and Hedwig is the smallest. Not sure what their issue is but is there anything I can do to stop this behavior? Hedwig is not bothered by the other hens and will hang with them until Olive chases her away. We feel so bad for Hedwig. No loss of feathers. What can we do? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! OE is the full black and Hedwig is multi colored.

Not sure what their issue is but is there anything I can do to stop this behavior?
This is not behavior that can really be stopped. Or needs to be. Someone has to be at the bottom of the pecking order.
Maybe Olive just doesn't like Hedwig. She doesn't have to. She just can't injure her and she isn't. It doesn't sound like Hedwig is suffering. She hangs with the other flock mates.
When she starts laying, things may very well change. In the meantime, add some more things into the run like a pallet leaning against the wall so she can hide behind it if she wants.

What does "FTM" mean?

This is not behavior that can really be stopped. Or needs to be. Someone has to be at the bottom of the pecking order.
Maybe Olive just doesn't like Hedwig. She doesn't have to. She just can't injure her and she isn't. It doesn't sound like Hedwig is suffering. She hangs with the other flock mates.
When she starts laying, things may very well change. In the meantime, add some more things into the run like a pallet leaning against the wall so she can hide behind it if she wants.
Ditto Dat!

Here's some ideas to make.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Back
Top Bottom