Bully EE's

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mypetsrchickens, Oct 25, 2016.

1. mypetsrchickens

mypetsrchickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    North Carolina
    I purchased two new bantam cochins and we have integrated them into our flock. We have 2 EE's that, when the cochins go out, immediately start chasing them and force them back into the coop. I feel horrible for the 2 littles but we haven't been able to come up with a solution. I know it's probably pecking order but it's so bad the littles stay in the coop almost all day. They are the sweetest, tamest chickens we have so I really don't want to give them up. The 2 EE's are the only ones we have as well so I really hate to give them up. We don't really have the ability to build a separate area for the littles. Are there any suggestions on how to get these 2 EE's to lay off the little girls?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If it has only been a short while since you introduced the Birds..? It can take months and sometimes never to have them as one flock...It looks really mean to us, Chickens understand pecking order...As long as they are not causing injury and no blood is shed? All you really can do is leave them to figure it out...Set up another food and water station and just wait it out...

Best of luck

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  3. mypetsrchickens

Apr 27, 2016
    North Carolina
    That's pretty much what we've done. They have access to food and water. The EE's aren't hurting them. They just chase them back into the coop every time they venture out. The littles don't seem to mind hanging out in the coop. I just hate they aren't really getting any outside time. Our only rooster is a bantam cochin so that's why we got these hens in the first place. I was hoping he'd help protect them but he doesn't really seem to care they are getting picked on. haha! Oh well, I figured we'd done everything we could do and they'd just have to sort it out. Hopefully that'll happen sooner rather than later.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old is he?
    He's still a 'new' flock member....so may take while for him to 'rule the roost' ...if he ever will.

How old are the EE's?

5. brookside birds

brookside birds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    I'm sorry about butting into this conversation but I have a question that needs to be answered .and I don't know where to go to put it on it ,? so hopefully someone can help me here I have 7 hens and i introduced a rooster to them a couple months ago to my hens .the hens still will not except him they chase him around they pick on him and they have pecked all the feathers out of his head they chase him away when he tries to eat I do not know what to do with this situation they are not free ranged should I build him a separate coop

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Is he a young Rooster? Meaning Cockerel under a year old? What Breed is he? What breed are the Hens? How old are the Hens???

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Pertinent questions asked above. Adult hens will kick the butt of a little punk cockerel - its normal. Multiple feed stations and time normally helps.

1 person likes this.
  8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]
    Some barriers to run around and block the line of sight might help as well.

Good luck!

9. mypetsrchickens

Apr 27, 2016
    North Carolina
    I'm not sure how old he is. We've had him since late May, early June. He was "full grown" when we got him. He was crowing and attempting to mate the hens. He doesn't really "rule the roost". He tries. LOL! The majority of the hens are bigger than him so they don't really pay him much attention. The EE's are around 27 weeks old. They were pretty much the bottom of the pecking order before we got the bantams. I think they are just enjoying having someone to push around.

That's a good idea. They typically hide under the ramp to the coop if they can't quite make it into the coop. Maybe just giving them a couple of more places to "get away" outside would help. Something small enough for them to get in or under but not the bigger hens. I'll suggest that to my husband and see what we can come up with. Thanks!

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

I bolded what I think is the crux of the problem. It's that there really isn't a problem for the birds, but it bothers you because you have different notions of how they should behave than they do.

If the birds are content, and not getting harmed, I'd leave things be. Providing hiding places is always a good idea, but overall they're never going to all be friends. Bantam Cochins are more docile and unassertive, so they tend to be at the bottom of the social structure. But, it doesn't seem to bother them. They understand someone's got to be the bottom, and they're pretty content there.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by