Bully Guinea....need advice

SassyKat6181

Songster
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Western Mass
I have a large male that is bullying a smaller male. I have 5 males and 5 females. They are fine outside during the day, but the smaller male hassles me about going in at night. When he does go in the coop (12x12 stall) the large males bullies him. He keeps pecking at him and chases him around the stall. I had to go in a few times this week to separate them. The smaller male runs away or sits on the roosts and lets the other one peck him...he doesn't fight back. I feel really bad for him and it is becoming a nuisance for me trying to get him to come home.

Do I rehome the small male? Or do I rehome the bully? He doesn't seem to bother anyone else.
idunno.gif

I am wondering if I rehome the small male, if the bully will target the next male. He is a good flock leader.

More than likely the bully will target the next lowest male in line, this is typical breeding season drama. And if you re-home the bully the next bird in line may take the bully position. Sometimes caging the bully for a week or so helps, it can knock down the attitude of the bully and also give the low bird a chance to rebuild some confidence. As long as he is not completely ostracized or cannibalized it should pass once breeding season is over with, but it'll be a long breeding season for the low bird
hmm.png

Thanks PeepsCa....I figured you'd answer. The bullying only lasts a few minutes once they are in the stall. He just pecks at him in the wing area. I haven't noticed any damage, he's just afraid to go in the coop with him, but doesn't fight back. Maybe I will try putting the bully in the "quarantine stall" for a few days. Ought to be fun trying to catch him, since I am not sure exactly which one it is until he starts picking on the other guy.

When I'm catching Hens in a flock of lots of birds of the same color I'll use a squirt bottle, with just plain water in it... turn the nozzle so it's a stream instead of a mist and then soak the back of the bird that I am trying to catch with a few quick squirts. The trick is to not get the other birds in the process so you can tell the wet one from the others, lol. It works tho, and it's harmless.

Back
Top Bottom