bully hen seperated

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hollyj, Mar 3, 2014.

1. hollyj

hollyj New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    I am new to BYC and am very concerned about one of my girls. I have 9 Rhode Island Reds and 7 are missing back and tail feathers. The other 2 are not missing any. I have caught them pecking and jumping on the other girls. My husband caught one of them doing their bullying and we put her in TIME OUT, in a large dog crate inside the coop. My problem is it is night time and she is crying and flying around the crate, grabbing the metal door and banging into the sides. I am ready to let her out and put her in the coop for the night. It is heart breaking but so is watching the rest of my girls getting pecked daily. Please help. What should I do tonight.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Do a forum search on Pinless Peepers. They are a great aid for breaking the habit of feather plucking. They can be removed once your hens have regrown their feathers.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could do what Sourland suggested OR rehome her, she isn't a team player

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG]and welcome to BYC!

If you have a hen that just does not get along, the pinless peepers will help tame her down a bit. They don't allow the bird to see directly in front of them, but up down and to the sides. I have a hen that has to wear her eye wear occasionally as she can be a handful. It doesn't take but a day to get used to eating and drinking with the peepers on. Also, make sure they have enough room in the coop. Cramped birds argue and pick on one another. Give them things to do other than pick on each other....hanging cabbages, veggies, seed pecking blocks or even a small flake of hay. Just something to occupy themselves. (if you need help with the peepers, pm me. I have pictures and will fill you in on how to get them on)

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

6. hollyj

hollyj New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Thank you so much, I have been reading information on your website, it is great to finally be a part of BYC

7. hollyj

hollyj New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    My bad girl made it thru the night, put the dog crate in the coop covered up for warmth. We let her out 24 hours later. 6 my girls are missing tail and back feathers. 2 are not missing any and my bad girl is missing a few tail feathers. Today my husband caught one of the full feather girls pecking on a few of the others during the day, including my original one caught pecking the other day.

We have 9 RIR almost a year old. The coop is 4wx8lx6h with roosting bars across the back, 6 nesting boxes that are attached to the sides 3 per side. The run is 8x12 with tin roof. We started with 10, 1 passed last month from inpacted crop infection. I was devestated. After that there has been total chaos with these girls re-arranging their pecking order. We put the new one caught bullying in isolation in the dog crate in our big wood shed. I think she is actually the hen trying to be a rooster, even tho she lays. She talks a storm up, bosses and the other day I caught her trying to mimic the rooster down the road. I have had animals my whole life, this is the first time for chickens. I give them flock blocks, fruits and veggies, hang cabbage weekly, put in leaves from the yard. We cannot free range them, we are in rural area, hawks, foxes and coyotes.

Any suggestions from you all would be so helpful

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

She really needs to roost [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by