bully hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lynn katsis, Oct 7, 2016.

1. have 3 pet hens, 3 yr old is bullying one four-mo old, so terrified stays on top of nest box. HELP! thx
    Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2016
  2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there and welcome to Backyard chickens! Is the bullying, just pecking a little, or is it actually creating wounds? Pecking is just part of being a chicken and showing others that they are higher in the pecking order than some others. How much space do you have? You need about 5sq feet per chicken in the house, and about 10sq feet per chicken in the run, and I always put in a few things where they can get shade, but also double as a hideout so they can get away from the big guys. I would also post your question in this link, https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying. Good luck and I hope you enjoy BYC!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may also want to re-try integrating the young bird to your hens. Check out the "Look but don't touch method." of integration. If you put that in the search it will come up.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Lynn, and :welcome! Pleased you joined us. Hope you find the answers you seek on re-integrating your birds. Best wishes!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Overrun With Chickens

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by