Bully Problem

halfbakedtulip

In the Brooder
6 Years
Things have gotten awfully crazy in our little coop. I have a sebright who is approximately a year old (I think) who we rescued. I got a "friend" for her a 16 week old millesfleur/silkie cross.

2 1/2 weeks ago when they were introduced (both were "new to us" ) my sebright (Banty) was vicious cornering the milles fleur (Charlotte) constantly so that Charlotte was huddled in the corner with Banty peck, peck, pecking away. I thought ok...pecking order. I built them an 8x3 run that is 3 feet high and that seemed to solve the problem. For almost 2 weeks they lived in somewhat harmony. The cornering and pecking had stopped.

Cue yesterday...Not only is the cornering going on but she is now jumping at Charlotte. It was non stop yesterday and today she has only let Charlotte into the run for a few moments at a time. She paces back and forth in front of the food and water in there and woe to anyone who goes near. There is another feed and water station under the coop and outside the run but Charlotte has yet to eat out of there not sure why.

So what do I do? All day bullying after 2 weeks isnt normal. They have both been dewormed and dusted and Charlotte looks and acts super healthy. Banty on the other hand acts neurotic lol. I have considered taking Banty out but the pecking order wouldn't reorder because well then only Charlotte is left. We don't have the means to separate long term (one would have to go in our small dog kennel). Does anyone have any ideas ...or do we have to consider getting rid of Banty...which would break my heart as we rescued her.

I tried a cabbage and they were beyond terrified of it so I took it out after a day. I made seed cakes but Banty wont let Charlotte partake. She has even started standing over her and when Charlotte scratches she will knock her out of the way to peck the area she scratched.

Help please ...
fl.gif

New birds are almost always an issue.
You may not like to be inserted into a small space with strangers that you think are going to take your food and water.
Part of the problem is probably "little coop".
Chickens need space and I bet if you let them run your yard, they'll ignore each other and eventually accept each other as flock mates - but maybe never fast friends.

I have bully prob here to but have small flock and my little bit knows she is safe with me so she hangs out quite often with me and the other birds know when I am around not to mess with her.

what I have read many places is the bird doing the bulling take out for a few days and then put back in to see if that helps. I also would stay out there as much as you can and when you see the offending bird bulling g you act like head hen and peck her that has chilled my cheerio rose down a lot or at least when I am around.

Good luick

Yesterday I let them out to free range. It is actually against our bylaw here but I am willing to try anything. An interesting thing happened. As soon as they got out of the run Charlotte charged Banty! If you could have seen the shocked look on Banty's face hahaha. After that Charlotte just followed Banty around everywhere. They were out for maybe 1/2 an hour when both decided they wanted to just go back to the run. I waited another 15 minutes and then just closed the door. I cant have them out unless I am out there which with my work schedule could be troublesome. Today they are going between chest bumps to Banty still trying to jump on Charlotte an Charlotte running for her life.

Chickencanoe~ I don't think the actual coop is a problem as they snuggle at night and when I open it up in the morning they are still sleeping and it takes them a good 15 minutes or so before they decide to make an entrance. And I hear no kerfuffle at all before they hop out.

I wish I could spank them both and make them behave lol This gives me no hope whatsoever that I could add another chicken to them. I really thought their 8 foot run would be more than enough for 2 1lb chickens.

Cary~ I considered this but considering their is only the two of them I am not sure how it would help as the pecking order wouldn't get shuffled. There is only 2 spots when there is only 2 of them. I would like to do the peck thing but they run away from me as it is lol

On several occasions I've had flocks of roosters that squabbled and chest bumped occasionally during the day. At night they slept in a big pile together. That's just what chickens do. They may not be the best of friends but they know each other more than predators.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom