Bully/Recovery - Is this a good plan?

pookieslw

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
Hi -

I have a couple dozen Buff Orps (half roos/hens), an Ameraucana supposed hen, might be roo, and two mixed bantam hens. They are all approximately 10 weeks old.

Some had an unidentified illness (which finally responded to Duramycin, but that's another story) and I have a few survivors - a bantam, a BO hen and a BO roo. The BO roo is out of the woods, but is still skinnier and smaller.

The bantam, even when ill, managed to snuggle up with the big hens like a little chick and is either not part of the pecking order, or pretty high on it, despite the fact that she is the size of a sparrow. The other healthy bigger bantam was pecked and chased a bit the last few weeks, but a place for her has been found and she is happy.

The problem is the BO roo. He is now slightly more active (had a few weeks of doing alot of standing around sleeping - amazed that he made it). He has become a target for the Ameraucana - who does more than just peck - it stands on top of him and viciously pecks until distracted. No we don't have blood yet, but we fear for his life because he doesn't look strong enough to run away. So we have removed him and one smaller BO hen for company - probably one that was sick with him - and put them in a dog crate. We plan to keep the dog crate out near the pen during the day and probably let them free range just outside the pen a bit under supervision. We are hoping to fatten them both up through hard boiled eggs and bugs, then reintroduce them to the flock. We will probably take the Ameraucana out of the flock at that point and confine it to the dog crate for a few days to bring it down a peg at the same time.

Does this sound like a good plan? Any suggestions? Should two weeks be enough to regain strength?

Does this Ameraucana sound like a roo or could it just be a dominant hen? She is a tiny bit bigger than the biggest BO roo. We were told that she was a hen when a chick based on her wing feathers. She doesn't have a comb and wattles the size of the biggest BO roo.....I could post a picture? She is a pet of my youngest kid, so I can't get rid of her, and I am really hoping she IS a hen because my daughter is excited for green eggs and I don't need another rooster messing up my future breeding.........

Thanks!

Okay - I will brave the wind and rainstorm outside and the very annoyed chicken confined to the coop (because some of them can't figure out to get out of the rain yet) and see if I can get a picture or two . It's tight in the coop......

I think your plan sounds good. I would keep the ameraucana in the kennel for about five days though......and I would give your BO some vitamins and electrolites in his drinking water too, since that'll be easy because you're isolating him.

Hope it all works out for ya!

Chicken.jpg

Hope this works? Watching them just now, Mr Orp Roo had his head above the Ameraucana the whole time, so we know who's won THAT battle!

She's a girl. Pretty too. I'd suspect she's probably near the bottom of the pecking order, and she's trying to make sure the newest addition to the flock goes "under" her.

So, am I correct in assuming that while this roo was sick and not very active, even though he was physically with the rest of the flock he was not a chicken in their eyes - i.e. wasn't part of the pecking order - not a threat? And now that he is somewhat recovered he is being subjected to the pecking order rituals?

I had been pleased that so far no one had picked on sick (or found in the morning dead) chickens......

Back
Top Bottom