Bully Situation Caught on Camera

SpicyDisaster

Songster
May 30, 2021
Eastern WA
While testing out camera functionality and effectiveness before installing it in our coop, I captured this gem on video.

We've known for a while that Silver the EE was bottom of the pecking order along with another EE. It seems like only Silver was winding up with feather damage on her back though. I have seen the Black Australorps chase her away from treats and basically anything about being in their vicinity. Lately though that seems to have escalated to going out of the way to chase her off on sight. Not all the time as she is able to sleep on the roosting bars and hang out with the flock in the mini coop.

Well yesterday I heard a scuffle and saw Silver headed away from the porch area, out of curiosity and armed with a new camera recording the porch area I saw the attached. Silver is in the foreground minding her own business eating. Pengu comes out from the mini coop, around the water station, and grabs her back feathers. No peck to move our anything, just straight to grabbing. Scuffle as Silver tries to get away and feathers falling. After the end of this scene Pengu proceeds to not get water and then go back in the mini coop. She wasn't even interested in the food that she chased Silver away from.

So what the heck?? No other chickens go out of their way to scare her off though they will peck if she gets too close to the treats they are trying to eat (black soldier fly larvae, fresh wheat grass, lettuce). Silver basically runs away on sight of the BAs. Is this salvageable? And if one has to go, it's going to be the bully Pengu. Pengu is not especially friendly whereas Silver is a sweetheart. I'm not sure rehoming her would work or if she'd just be a bully to someone else's chickens.

First attempt at a video link, hope this works.

Silver hanging out on my monitor while I work photo for chicken tax 😁

Attachments

• download_20220105_070207.jpg
    download_20220105_070207.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 13
Can you isolate the bully for a bit to take her down a peg in the pecking order?
Yes. I was thinking I could put her in the brooder bin in the garage but it's 45* in there and only 19* outside. I worry about her having to adapt to going back outside after being in the warmer area. I could also put her in a kennel in the coop itself so she'd wind up spending her day alone but still be around the other girls at night. I think I recall reading that if they are away from the flock (no visibility) for a certain time they will forget her and she will have to reintegrate the pecking order. So I'm leaning toward garage time.

I think I would set up some hidden feed spots too. Place mini walls out of cardboard or plywood, with a feed bowl behind so that, a bird eating at this station, cannot be seen from else where in the set up.

Or pin-less peepers might be an idea too.

I find pallets and concrete blocks handy for this kind of barrier.

And random pieces of scrap metal roofing.

I think I would set up some hidden feed spots too. Place mini walls out of cardboard or plywood, with a feed bowl behind so that, a bird eating at this station, cannot be seen from else where in the set up.

Or pin-less peepers might be an idea too.
That's a great idea for a hidden feed station. Then at least she can eat in relative peace.

I find pallets and concrete blocks handy for this kind of barrier.

And random pieces of scrap metal roofing.
We have concrete blocks handy that I think we can get to in the snow still. Thank you for the suggestion!

So the separation time is unfortunately going to have to wait for bully Pengu. Our separation tank is currently occupied by our two buffs who are presenting some odd health-related symptoms (possible prolapse on the one and weird vent guck on the other). It's always something haha.

Back
Top Bottom