Bullying… at my wits end!

I have read through this thread and have not seen roosters mentioned? Do these hens have a rooster? Or is it just the girls in the coop? Can you have roosters? Or is it against city ordinance? Tis the season for breeding and being sassy and mean.....maybe these girls need a male subject....to fulfill their needs?
We had a rooster up until recently. He was supposed to be a hen. Technically we’re not allowed one due to city ordinance. We kept him around for 10 months or so anyway becasue we loved him. He was a bantam and such a cool guy, but his incessant crowing got to be too much and we already have an issue with a crotchety neighbor so we didn’t want to run the risk of having code enforcement show up on us. He was rehomed about a month and an half ago. We considered the fact that it may have been the loss of the roo that contributed to the increased bullying except that it was occurring when he was with us too.

They are not and I am beginning to understand that that may be a part of the problem. Knowing I was only allowed limited chickens I was going for varying egg colorations when I selected them having not done much research before picking breeds. I am very new to chickens and was overzealous at the idea of finally getting some. It was discussed for a long time before we pulled the trigger. We have 2 red sex links, 1 Americana, 1 blue laced Wyandotte and 1 that was supposed to be a prarie bluebell egger but she definitely is not that, we think she may be a bielefelder but not sure. It’s this one and the Americana that are the victims of the bullying.
Now I’ve had some of the red be major bullies as well previously, could definitely be a characteristic of the breed. The only thing that helped without rehoming for me was actually getting additional pullets. I think because the hens getting bullied were smaller, they began to group together with the younger birds and they all got along perfectly. Then the reds kind of hung around the older birds and mellowed out. They never became best friends with the other birds, but they were no longer harming any other birds and for the most part just hung out on opposite ends of the yard.

Hi hun, this is a tough one.
I’ve restructured the “pecking order” once or twice when I felt someone was getting the pointy end but it’s only ever been a maximum of two hens at a time. With a small flock like yours I wouldn’t expect it to be a pecking order problem. I agree with the theory of the diet. Perhaps change to a standard layers grain with layers pellets rather than plumage. The protein level is important but less so if they aren’t moulting so try something different if you can.
It will take a while to see any change so perhaps a saddle may help reduce some of the damage in the meantime ?
Hope this helps, good luck and do keep us informed,
Hugz

Hi again, I have some questions; are all the bully’s the same breed ? Are they related (sisters) ? How old are they ? Do they eat the feathers ? How much space do they have in their run, please specify meters or feet ? Are you using additional lighting ? Is there plenty of ventilation in the run ? How much room do you have for perching ?
Hugz

In my opinion, if the details I have assumed are correct. The hens started pecking after the cockerel drew blood/caused physical damage. Once a hen starts pecking an open wound you need to separate the sick until they are mended and then reintroduce with a watchful eye. Hens are carnivorous and not fussy once they taste flesh. I don’t think it is food or pecking order. I think it is the open wounds they are going for.
I can provide details from a really good book if you would like them in a scan/attach files format.
Good luck,
Hugz

I've had Easter Eggers (aka "Americanas") bully Easter Eggers. But I have noticed certain breeds tend to be more dominant, this includes Wyandottes and Red and Black Sex-links. Older birds also bully younger birds, but that's not your problem. Are you able to give them more space (maybe a poultry net yard)? More space is always better. I know it's not easy to rehome any pet.
When I added a rescued wyandotte from across the street my meanest hen picked a fight with her she soon regretted. it was all over and done with in a couple seconds and none of the others bothered her . If you didn't know better you'd think they grew up together

Back
Top Bottom